how much wood you burn this year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siouxindian

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
this year i burnt the least amount of wood than the last 40 years. i am in tulsa okla . i am only posting this because i still got proly 6 rick left. that has got to be great weather or a less than cold winter. is this winter less cold or just a freak of weather. o i burn year around i cook outside in summer fall and spring. just wandering did you all burn less this winter?

I've burnt about 7 chord so far, got 1 left in the house and 3 in the back shed.

I burned a little less than normal and has been a milder winter than normal. The real came later and now we are looking at 60 tomorrow. We had -23F , but the cold did not stay very long at all. Last Feb.2021 we had about half the nights below 0 degrees. This year, not so much. I burned 5 face cords of popple ( 2 2/3 of a cord) and 5 face cords of real good ash, so 10 face cords this year , but the popple only seems to count for about 3 face cords of ash, so if it was all ash I would only have burned 8 face cords. I am going to burn till its warm now that Nat. gas has gone way up. I am all over getting real good jump on next yrs. wood cause about 10 yrs ago propaine and heating oil went way up and every Tom **** & Harry was out there looking for wood. I have next winters wood split and half of 2023-24 winter in my back yard , and just started cutting today.

We've had a lot more warm days this winter than normal. Last couple years I burned 2.5 cords per year. I'm at half of that now which is a little light for this time of year. We have a couple months of winter left though, hopefully we'll get more cold and rain.

I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains on the Morgan Hill side and I've burned about 3 cords so far. Last year was the same.

Its been colder here than normal, so with that said, I feel like Ive burned a LOT! As a logger, I never pay much attention to wood or how much I burn though. Its kinda like a mechanic always drives junk, a plumber always has a leak, and a logger is always out of firewood.

Its been colder here than normal, so with that said, I feel like Ive burned a LOT! As a logger, I never pay much attention to wood or how much I burn though. Its kinda like a mechanic always drives junk, a plumber always has a leak, and a logger is always out of firewood.
Funny you say that, I have a 70 something friend who is a logger, one cold winter day I ran into him and he had about 8 pieces of wood in the back of his pickup, I said "Larry, I thought you were a logger and would have plenty of wood at home" he responded with "I just bring home enough for one night, if I die tonight or hit the lottery, either way I won't need any more firewood" LOL But you are correct, I have done fine finish work my whole life and my customers always comment that I must have a beautiful home to which I reply "It's like the cobblers kids with no shoes"

Back on topic, it seems like I have burned more wood to date than I did all last year and we've still got a ways to go, I have about a cord sitting on pallets near the OWB (I moved it there today while the ground is frozen for tomorrow it's supposed to be rainy and in the 60's and I don't want to rut up the back yard)
I have about two cords under cover I was hoping to start next years supply with but I may end up using some of it this year. With the oil prices I'm going to need more for next year, stay warm!

I can see that. I am a carpenter and I just hate working on my own house. I tell the wife, I could be getting paid for this . Therefore, my dad , a carpenter , we lived in new houses sinse I was born , except my first 2 yrs. and three yrs. I rented when I first got married.

Not done yet but im roughly 4-1/2 cords in. Ill say we use a tad over 5 by the end of the season

Fairly normal

But we definitely used more than we needed this winter. Wife is a teacher so she was home from that covid thing for a good few months. So she kept it full

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

I’ve burned about four cord this winter. The winter has had very extreme weather swings, several days very cold followed by unusually high temperatures. Also lots of snow followed by warm weather and rain. Will probably end up burning 5 to 51/2 total, about normal for us.

We have had a lot of temperature swings also and didn't have the normal cold period in Jan in to early Feb. I do burn my Garn year around. My normal year is 10-15 cord of good hard wood locust and hedge I would say I will be under the ten mark this year. Down at least three cord for this time of they year. We are very dry in my area and need some rain. Never pushed any snow this winter. Swept the walk a couple times. Not normal for us.

I will also burn close to 2 cord producing maple syrup, so my seasonal usage is usually around 7 cord on average.

We started mild but turned real cold in January still below normal here . About 5 cord so far about normal for us
Same her in pa. Didn't hardly burn much til mid January then it got cold. Last couple yrs were mild only about 4 cord each year. This year already working on 5 and most of that in last 2 months. Most years avg 5-6 so on par for normal this year, just last couple were mild winters.

Latest posts

Back