Cold Weather vs. Hot Weather and Burning Up a Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer_Nate

Better Saws are Better...and Gut that Muffler!
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did a search, found ...not much. So I'll ask.

Kind of a newbie question here.

Can weather make a person more likely to accidentally run an older non-autotune saw too lean and cause them to burn up the saw?

What I mean is can colder weather, with its denser air, cause a leaner condition than warmer air?

My thought is based on this scenario:

I'd say many beginners, me included in the past, have their saw tuned by someone other than themselves. Either they never touch the screws after purchase, or have it tuned by someone who supposedly knows, then never touch the idle/L/H screws themselves. Assume they use the saw occasionally year-round.

OK, say they run in the summer. Air is less dense, but temps are in the 90's (F). They cut a downed tree off the fence or the yard. Will the saw run richer and be OK even with hotter air temps?

Then winter comes, they run out of wood or have to cut wood after an ice storm, and they fire up the saw and go at it in 20-degree temps. Is this the most likely time to burn up the saw? Should a person be more concerned in winter, assuming nothing was done to the saw for carb adjustment?

Back