How do I cut the rest of this tree up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jughead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hurricane Ike's winds came thru last almost two weeks ago. I have most of the tree cut up. The part remaining is the lower branch. The stump is actually pushing the limb solidly into the ground. The top branches & trunk are already removed.

Is there a safe way to cut this up without getting my saw jambed in the cut?

DSC_0017.JPG

Cut from the bottom up or it there's no room, just start cutting from the top and pound a wedge in to keep it from pinching.

wedge it

Take as much weight as you can off the top then the root ball may either spring back into the ground or at least lighten the load up a bit on the bottom limb so you can cut it.

If there's still a lot of pressure on that bottom limb even after the top limbs are removed, then get a plastic wedge. Once you've got the bar buried in the limb, drop the plastic wedge in the kerf to hold it open and keep cutting.

Just keep an extra close watch on any limb that has pressure on it as it can either spring up and throw your saw or drop down and pinch. The wedge should stop the chance of a pinch but if the limb springs up, even with a wedge in there, it'll throw your saw (maybe right back at you!!).

I don't know what your local regulations are, but the last time I had a big blown over tree to get rid of, I just set some charcoal to burning at the main join and it burned all the big branches apart (then I dug a hole under the remaining stump and burned it out too). It worked surprisingly well and easy.

Take a shovel and dig a small home under a section close to the stump, so you can undercut it. Once the first cut is through, you should be able to roll it around or prop it up as warranted...

Cut all the no loaded limbs first and get them outta the way.
Then either cut from the bottom or make a notch on the top and gradually
make it deeper and wider until you get tension relieved the remaining strap
of wood could be axed or hook a chain to a 4+4 and rip it off or just saw it!

Allison Park, North of Pgh..... Go Steelers!

Here's a pic from yesterday.

DSC_0024.JPG

Looks like your getting there now is where it gets a little tricky.
If the root ball decides it wants to set back it is going to have
two forces at least. I would try to top cut and notch and pay
close attention to any movement if it tries to close the the ball
is more than likely going to stay put. If it tries to open it is the
other way and you can carefully finish the cut note : keep head'
saw'arms'legs and generally everything clear of the movement.

Looks like your getting there now is where it gets a little tricky.
If the root ball decides it wants to set back it is going to have
two forces at least. I would try to top cut and notch and pay
close attention to any movement if it tries to close the the ball
is more than likely going to stay put. If it tries to open it is the
other way and you can carefully finish the cut note : keep head'
saw'arms'legs and generally everything clear of the movement.

Thanks. I think I'm going to cut those upper trunks off first. They are actually 3 trunks wrapped & twisted around each other and were growing as one trunk and then split into 2!

I just saw this in the photo, there's a little space near the roots. Maybe I can dig around there a little and get my saw blade in there & cut from the bottom?

Thanks. I think I'm going to cut those upper trunks off first. They are actually 3 trunks wrapped & twisted around each other and were growing as one trunk and then split into 2!

I just saw this in the photo, there's a little space near the roots. Maybe I can dig around there a little and get my saw blade in there & cut from the bottom?

Yeah that I saw as well and should do ya fine. Just watch out
for the ball trying to go back in the hole, as if it does it will pinch hard!
Many times it does try to fall back in, in my experiance about 85% of the
time! I would notch it bottom or top to detour a pinch just keep notching
deeper and wider a little at a time! :cheers:

Last edited:
Looking at the tree in the first 2 pics, cut a slit in the bottom first (if you can get your saw in there, then cut from the top down in a / direction, matching up with the bottom cut. The root ball is going to want to sit back back, which mean its going to want to go up. By cutting it at that "/" angle, the root ball won't pinch the saw when it tries to lift.

Be careful, if that thing starts to lift early it'll likely grab your saw and lift right at the cut before the wood is cut, leaving a hinge and picking up the last leader. I usually cut the root ball off first, sometimes there is a lot of tension trying to pull them back down, and it'll lift the tree up once you get the majority of it cut up. Happened to me once, caught my belt on a branch, and lifted me 10 feet in the air. Boy did I look like an idiot calling for the woman to bring a ladder from my cell phone. I'll never cut from the top down again (if the root ball is sitting upright anyways).

Ok jokes aside, get 2 saws, start cutting from the top down, if the ball starts back in the hole get the heck out of the way, if it stays and pinches the saw, cut yourself out with the other one and finnish that dang job!

A good saw man would feel the preasure nomatter which way it wanted to go, adjust and finnish with one saw, that is why I recommend the 2 saw method.:chainsaw:

To make it easier to remove the stump, don't let it flip back upright!
Tie it off to a truck or nearby tree so it can't fall back, then cut it off clean keeping all your body parts out-of-line with the bar & chain.

Once you have the bulk separated from the root, use a pressure washer to remove most of the dirt, then use a small bag of charcoal to reduce it to ash. Start the charcoal early on a day when you'll be home all day ( or two.)

What did ya do with the wood? I live in Washington Pa, if you need to get rid of it, let me know. I work in RIDC Park, up route 28.

Latest posts

Back