How do I fix this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All right I got the powdercoating out of the flywheel side of the case, not an easy task. I don't have a blasting cabinet yet, and didn't want to wait so I used a wire wheel on a Dremel, and sandpaper, flap wheels, and elbow grease.

The PTO side was in good shape, with just a touch of flaking near the cylinder flange. I got all the loose stuff off and buffed it up a bit with some rouge.

In the after pic I wanted to show some of my high-tech tools: My seal puller, and a block-off plate I use for vacuum testing.

Before:
attachment.php

After:
attachment.php

I had the same problem on a Stihl I rebuilt. I removed all the paint I could with a wire wheel plus a little scraping. When done I left it bare. No problems so far. Definitely safer than the trial and error process with unknown paints.

metal is porus.

:cry: no wonder i have fuel in the bed of my truck !!
durn metal fuel cans !!
and now i know why the truck gets poor gas milage,i have a METAL gas tank in it !! must be leaking out thru the "porus" metal.. :(

metal is porus.

:cry: no wonder i have fuel in the bed of my truck !!
durn metal fuel cans !!
and now i know why the truck gets poor gas milage,i have a METAL gas tank in it !! must be leaking out thru the "porus" metal.. :(
porus doesn't mean it has holes through it, it will absorb liquid to an extent but not let it through...

porus doesn't mean it has holes through it, it will absorb liquid to an extent but not let it through...

:( i thot it ment like a sieve..
will have to look someplace else then for the leakage.. :)

on the BRIGHT side that means Randys tank WONT leak !! :)

I understood your meaning, but Ron's stuff cracks me up...

I would have liked to recoat it with something, but not being sure it would hold up over time is the reason I decided to leave it bare. (Picture the carb not seating in the future and the crankcase standing for a month with fuel in it). I've used the POR system on a few cars that I helped restore, it is truly a great product.

I understood your meaning, but Ron's stuff cracks me up...

I would have liked to recoat it with something, but not being sure it would hold up over time is the reason I decided to leave it bare. (Picture the carb not seating in the future and the crankcase standing for a month with fuel in it). I've used the POR system on a few cars that I helped restore, it is truly a great product.

I use the "poor" system,no money to buy good stuff ..:(

I'm right there with ya Ron....lol..

if I sold some of my saws I'd have a few bucks...lol..

I been doing a pretty good job lately of parting with some of mine..
decided i would rather have more usable ones so i been thinning to finance them..
you CAN fight CAD !!

Latest posts

Back