How do I get a dead branch down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was curious too. Not to critique, but to see what a rookie thought was needed. When I get into something new I tend to go overboard on "all the stuff". Just to find out 5 years later I got half the wrong stuff and it hasn't moved since I got it. With hind sight I think I would have stretched the budget just a little more and got something like an 18 inch, 40 CC Echo For $299. Good mid grade saw. A DHT or TSC wood splitter, on sale for less than $900, and a Fiskars axe. Ten years from now the saw should still be cranking, the wood splitter would still be rolling and if you wanted, could probably sell for about what you paid. I'm getting old, the kids are gone, and I have more disposable income, so I tend to work backwards and buy the big stuff first. Like a new 660, Joe.

Might have over estimated due to what I actually paid but not so much if looking at retail. Comes closer to $700-$750 for me. Bust the Husqvarna 550XP and 5 ton HF splitter are what I bought recently. Had the maul, Fiskars ax, and hand-powered splitter from past years.

-Emt1581

IF you go up a ladder, (which is not recommended, but certainly possible) then you need to assume several things.

1. Assume that the branch will not go anywhere near where you want it to.
1. Assume that the top of the ladder is going to get knocked over, so tie the top of the ladder to the tree.
2. Assume that the bottom of the ladder will get knocked out of place, so do what you can to prepare for that.
3. Assume that the branch will knock you off the ladder, so tie yourself in safely.
4. Once you have no ladder and are hanging by a rope from the tree, have a way to self-recover to get yourself out of the tree. Better to have a buddy there to help with that.
5. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to assume that you may get injured by that branch, so a buddy is REALLY handy at this point. Especially a buddy who owes you money. Send him up the ladder instead.

IF you go up a ladder, (which is not recommended, but certainly possible) then you need to assume several things.

1. Assume that the branch will not go anywhere near where you want it to.
1. Assume that the top of the ladder is going to get knocked over, so tie the top of the ladder to the tree.
2. Assume that the bottom of the ladder will get knocked out of place, so do what you can to prepare for that.
3. Assume that the branch will knock you off the ladder, so tie yourself in safely.
4. Once you have no ladder and are hanging by a rope from the tree, have a way to self-recover to get yourself out of the tree. Better to have a buddy there to help with that.
5. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to assume that you may get injured by that branch, so a buddy is REALLY handy at this point. Especially a buddy who owes you money. Send him up the ladder instead.
So Unc. this is how your crew of helpers go in to danger spots [c #5] you would rather not?

Are there any ways for a homeowner to get up a tree to cut down a branch that's dead but fully attached?

I just spent close to $1k on wood harvesting equipment this month so I'm not looking to blow another few hundred on a good pole saw or some other big equipment.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a handful of those foot pegs that screw into trees for hunters to get up to the stand. I do have a 30' ladder. Never used it in my treeline though. Just up against the house.

Looking for safe but looking for cheap.

Another option is to tell the power company to do it the next time they come around.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Emt1581
There are plenty of ways I will stretch my skills in order to learn. Two things, though, I will not mess with: my firearms and my chainsaw. If I'm not 100% confident in my ability to successfully get some woodwork done, I hire or barter with someone who's more skilled than me. It just isn't worth getting hurt or killed. My wife and son need me in one piece.

Back