How do I get this spring in?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to know how to get this spring into my 015. This is the one that eBay said fit it.

View attachment 1140068
Cut the pull handle off, put the spring holder with spring in the case with the U shaped part of the spring sticking out into the holder in the case, you either have to wind the rope up on the pulley first or leave a bit out and wind it up in the direction that causes more tension on the rope then snake it back the hole and insert in pulley. Good luck, at least it didn't fly apart, be carefull.

It goes in the way it is laying. That outer part of the spring has to hang on something that is hard to see in the photo. The pulley with the rope needs to be flipped over and the opening goes over where that other end of the spring pokes out. There is a pawl, a thin washer, and a spring steel type deal that should push the pawl out when you pull the rope. All that needs to be in place before you start trying to retention the coil spring.
Pull some slack out and wind the pulley to tighten the coil spring maybe 10 turns, or until it won't turn anymore.
It will make some twists in your rope that you will have to twist back out.

Hopefully it will work. Looks like it has been banged on for some reason. Doesn't take much to get those things out of whack.

Cut the pull handle off, put the spring holder with spring in the case with the U shaped part of the spring sticking out into the holder in the case, you either have to wind the rope up on the pulley first or leave a bit out and wind it up in the direction that causes more tension on the rope then snake it back the hole and insert in pulley. Good luck, at least it didn't fly apart, be carefull.
So... I just press it in and do everything that the service manual said? It is bent because I am trying to press it in.

Mine didn't have a holder. Had to rewind it by hand into the deep case and 2 hands wasn't quite enough :p
Ugh. I hate winding springs. When I did it on the first one, I tried to rewind it many times, but on the 14th attempt, the spring broke in half and EXPLODED flying at me and my air compressor. Wear them safety squints boys.

You are supposed to make up a jig of nails on a board to allow you to wind it up into a tighter coil, secure it with a pair of cable ties, place it in the cavity and then release the ties. Do a search on "recoil spring", lots of info on the details.

You need to tension the spring so it pulls the rope onto the pulley, Junior.

This will give you an idea from 009-012 shop manual, including the super secret recoil rope knots even Masons don't know about.......

1 rope a dope.png1 rope a dope 2.png

P.S. I'm impressed that you have a good work ethic, and desire to learn and educate yourself. Something lacking in many of your peers!

the problem is winding the spring is such a deep depression as opposed to most any other starter assembly. Installing loose springs isn't that big a deal when done in a regular, shallow cover. The 015 eventually updated to a small, drop-in spring holder that didn't require disassembling the entire saw to replace.

the problem is winding the spring is such a deep depression as opposed to most any other starter assembly. Installing loose springs isn't that big a deal when done in a regular, shallow cover. The 015 eventually updated to a small, drop-in spring holder that didn't require disassembling the entire saw to replace.
Screenshot 2023-12-31 192445.png

I'm going to try and grind off the little lip with a Dremel so I can just drop it in.

I need to know how to get this spring into my 015. This is the one that eBay said fit it.

View attachment 1140068
Just because someone on Ebay says it will fit doesn't necessarily mean that it will!

That "hook" should go around a round pin in the plastic housing. Also the distance that the hook sticks out from the metal cover is critical to getting it to go back in assuming that it was supposed to fit.

BTW, what happened to the original spring? It should have been reusable.

Latest posts

Back