How do I make a large volume chainsaw pipe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been posted before but here goes. you want a copy of the book "Two Stroke Tuner's Handbook" by Gordon Jennings. Turns out it's OOP and kind of rare now with used copies selling for over $100. It was only a small paperback around 160 pages. There is good info in the book on making expansion chambers.

With a little searching, I found a web page that had a pdf version:

http://edj.net/2stroke/jennings/

With a little patience, you can download the whole book. This violates all that is holy WRT copyrights, but hey I've already got my hard copy :p

Jimbo

If you want an expansion chamber then no it's not easy. There's quite a bit of calculating and figuring before you even begin fabrication which can be tedious. Some here have built more pipes that others and I'm sure they'd get it done faster than myself. John

The pro's use a cone roller. I have made them without one using a regular slip roll which i have, but its kinda a pain in the butt. I can build a cone roller if someone has a lot of cones...Bob

you can buy a good cone roller in Toronto but you will still end up bending some of the cones by hand, the baffle cone is tough for a roller to do,
there is alot of different figures you can use and most books willnot tell you all the little secrets about pipe volumes on what works better with the transfer ports we have today in saws

Stihl 041 super said:
I was just reading that hand book and what does exhaust open in degress mean?

i would guess that this is degrees of rotation of the crank, using a degree wheel or for the really cheap redneck.. a protractor on the end of the crank :)

a *very* rough example, if it said 20 degrees: with the piston at the bottom of the port, set degree wheel to zero.. rotate the crank till the piston is at the top of the port just closing it off.. you should point to 20 now.

i may be wrong.. but this is my current understanding.

Latest posts

Back