How do I pressure test my chipper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobdufrene

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Woodchuck Hyroller 1200 chipper, and the drums are not engaging/turning in forward or reverse. I've changed the fluid and filter, confirmed that the belt is driving the hydraulic motor, opened the bottom door and cleaned the debris between the drums and knives and confirmed that the drums are able to be turned by hand. I'm new to the business and chippers, am I missing something simple? Everything seems fine, just no drum action. There are no electronics connected to the hydro system, so I'm thinking my next option is to see if the pump is putting out the correct pressure. I have attached a couple photos of the hydro control area on the back of the machine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a 2002 Woodchuck Hyroller 1200 chipper, and the drums are not engaging/turning in forward or reverse. I've changed the fluid and filter, confirmed that the belt is driving the hydraulic motor, opened the bottom door and cleaned the debris between the drums and knives and confirmed that the drums are able to be turned by hand. I'm new to the business and chippers, am I missing something simple? Everything seems fine, just no drum action. There are no electronics connected to the hydro system, so I'm thinking my next option is to see if the pump is putting out the correct pressure. I have attached a couple photos of the hydro control area on the back of the machine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Call the manufacturer.

Also, any advice for sourcing an aftermarket pressure relief valve? The valve "looks" ok, but I'm thinking to replace it.

Here's what I did on my vermeer 1250.
When I bought it, one drum would turn, but it wouldn't feed wood. We started by taking a hose off. It blew a stream of oil. That verified we had fluid at that point. We reconfigured the hoses to test each motor individually. One turned, the other didn't. Bad motor. Replaced and now it's eating everything we can shove into it for the last hundred hours. So basically, to test a component, I would bypass/isolate it and see if it makes a difference. If you can't get a stream of oil anywhere, it's probably a bad pump.

Latest posts

Back