How do you cut a tree up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the fastest way. Lol

If the trees I cut was that small I would have no issue with speed lol. I could probably just lift the end off the ground and place something under the trunk to keep the chain from hitting dirt.

Peavies or is it peaveys or peavys are heavy. We seldom take one along on our trail clearing work because of that. If you have a Lab sized dog, they can easily carry plastic wedges, file spare chain, etc. in a dog pack. They will werk fer fud.

Well I can't compare my scrounge walks to your trail clearing. If I was in your shoes I would just fill my MOLLE pack with gear and that's it. I'm going to buy that pull along dump yard wagon thingy and put all my stuff in it. I'll figure out the items I really need as I go along and only take what I carry in the wagon.

As for letting my dog carry something, that's a big No Go. I have a 2 yr old Am Staff that's a little retarded.

We have enough bodies along to do the line up sit down roll log using leg power method. Or we'll grab a strong looking limb to use as a lever if one is available. The crew I worked on last year preferred to use aluminum wedges for the crosscut saw. I packed those and they were not light weight, like you'd think aluminum should be.

I find those trips pretty interesting and learn something every time. There are some real experienced folks on them and they have little tricks to get big trees moved off the trail.

We have enough bodies along to do the line up sit down roll log using leg power method. Or we'll grab a strong looking limb to use as a lever if one is available. The crew I worked on last year preferred to use aluminum wedges for the crosscut saw. I packed those and they were not light weight, like you'd think aluminum should be.

I find those trips pretty interesting and learn something every time. There are some real experienced folks on them and they have little tricks to get big trees moved off the trail.

Are you paid to do this or is it volunteer? There's a state forest near me that has a trail clearing volunteer opportunity. I've been debating whether I should sign up.

There's a state forest near me that has a trail clearing volunteer opportunity. I've been debating whether I should sign up.
Sign up. Try it out. And see if you like it. Might learn something, have new experiences, and find new toys, er, tools to buy, while helping out!
Here, the USFS provides training for trail volunteers working in the national forests.

Philbert

Drop with feller buncher, make piles 10-15 logs. Skid to landing. Delimb at landing with stroke delimber. Load onto truck, cut the ends off if too long (allowed 50ft) haul to the shop. Put in a deck there, cut in 1/2, use skid steer to put on processor, then cut/split and load on truck.

Drop with feller buncher, make piles 10-15 logs. Skid to landing. Delimb at landing with stroke delimber. Load onto truck, cut the ends off if too long (allowed 50ft) haul to the shop. Put in a deck there, cut in 1/2, use skid steer to put on processor, then cut/split and load on truck.
Sounds like a lot of handling, even of highly mechanized. Too bad you can't take your processor right into the woods.

Philbert

Sign up. Try it out. And see if you like it. Might learn something, have new experiences, and find new toys, er, tools to buy, while helping out!
Here, the USFS provides training for trail volunteers working in the national forests.

Philbert

I guess I'll give it a shot. Was planning on boycotting that particular state forest because they denied my request cut downed trees lol. I'm a sore loser.

I guess I'll give it a shot. Was planning on boycotting that particular state forest because they denied my request cut downed trees lol. I'm a sore loser.
Hold up just a minute. Are you getting scrounge wood from this or not? You were very recently concerned with getting enough wood yourself to get a year or two ahead. If you are not getting wood then you are basically volunteering your time which takes away from your own wood production. Not that volunteering is bad but consider what you are giving up.

Hold up just a minute. Are you getting scrounge wood from this or not? You were very recently concerned with getting enough wood yourself to get a year or two ahead. If you are not getting wood then you are basically volunteering your time which takes away from your own wood production. Not that volunteering is bad but consider what you are giving up.

Most likely no. That could change if I become a volunteer though, who knows. I contacted the park manager and was told they no longer do that. I'm a bit less concerned now about collecting enough firewood because there's always some helpless/lazy person posting free firewood trees on CL. Time is my main concern now. Work part-time on the weekends, one weekend a month is totally consumed by National Guard training, and I have a whole gang of kids. Friday is my only full day I can scrounge.

Anyway, I may follow my idol Thoreau: "I quietly declare war with (Tuckahoe State Park), after my fashion, though I will still make use and get advantage of her as I can, as is usual in such cases."
I'll volunteer until I learn some techniques then stop going.

I'll volunteer until I learn some techniques then stop going.

From you posts, I am confident that you will find at least a few things interesting, or pick up a few skills or tricks, even if you only volunteer for a short while. I am also confident that you will be able to help quite a bit with your current set of skills.

I have done a bit of storm cleanup volunteer work, and worked on a few trail projects - I find it rewarding.

Philbert

Ambull01, where on the Eastern Shore are you? I just got a place near Fenwick, DE last year and I'm trying to learn where to fish and hunt.

Sounds like quite an operation, I just checked out your web site.:clap:

Sounds like a lot of handling, even of highly mechanized. Too bad you can't take your processor right into the woods.

Philbert

Man I really have to disagree with ya Philbert, I believe Valley Firewood knows how to make firewood, and a lot of it efficiently.:buttkick:

It seems I do what slowp suggested he does sometimes which is save one limb to roll the log and cut rounds part way thru and roll
the log and finish the cut. Some thinking required but not much.

Sounds like quite an operation, I just checked out your web site.

Nice website.

Man I really have to disagree with ya Philbert, I believe Valley Firewood knows how to make firewood, and a lot of it efficiently.

I'm not saying he is doing it wrong; he seems to have an nice operation. I was just counting the number of steps and the equipment involved (all I have is a chainsaw and a maul!). I realize that there a many factors involved, but if a highly mechanized firewood operation could put their firewood processor into the field, and load directly into containers (like in your "Upped the anty on hauling" thread), a lot of steps, and maybe some equipment, could be saved (and sawdust left in the field, if that is an issue). Maybe it would be a different size/scale firewood processor that also included de-limbing.

We have discussed similar things in the charity firewood cutting threads. If someone else is doing the cutting, limbing, hauling, etc., that is also a different issue.

Philbert

Ambull01, where on the Eastern Shore are you? I just got a place near Fenwick, DE last year and I'm trying to learn where to fish and hunt.

Wow, you're all the way out there. I'm about 15-20 minutes from the Bay Bridge. Just bought a house in April so I'm still basically a tourist, I know nothing about the eastern shore.

Nice website.

I'm not saying he is doing it wrong; he seems to have an nice operation. I was just counting the number of steps and the equipment involved (all I have is a chainsaw and a maul!). I realize that there a many factors involved, but if a highly mechanized firewood operation could put their firewood processor into the field, and load directly into containers (like in your "Upped the anty on hauling" thread), a lot of steps, and maybe some equipment, could be saved (and sawdust left in the field, if that is an issue). Maybe it would be a different size/scale firewood processor that also included de-limbing.

We have discussed similar things in the charity firewood cutting threads. If someone else is doing the cutting, limbing, hauling, etc., that is also a different issue.

Philbert

Valley Firewood is using dump trucks, skid steers with grapples, conveyers and a pretty neat processor. I think he has tackled the concept of efficiency quite nicely. (watch the video)

http://www.blockbuster-inc.com/15-20.html

I'll explain a bit when I get more time, trying to pack up for a flight... taking a few week vacation to see family... it's been a few years!

I'll explain a bit when I get more time, trying to pack up for a flight... taking a few week vacation to see family... it's been a few years!

Great, I find this interesting. :cheers:

Sounds like you have the equipment to get wood out of the woods efficiently which is normally the biggest obstacle for firewood production. I am guessing real log trucks for hauling to you processing site. The firewood processor must have a size of stick that is optimum and must be relatively straight? :chop:

Back