How do you determine if a bee line eye to eye split tail is worn out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad556

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok so I have just started climbing at work and I started out with the ultra light tree climbing kit from wesspur.com. It came with an 8mm bee line spliced eye to eye prusik cord. I have climbed maybe 7 or 8 trees so far and the cord has performed perfectly but its showing some signs of wear that have me a little concerned but they may be just nothing. Here is a pic of the hitch I am using in my setup, i think its called the XT:
attachment.php

Im not sure if these cords have cores but everywhere the cord wraps around my climbing rope the rope feels empty like it is just a case with no structure underneath. Both ends near the splices are fine, nice and round and firm but the middle is stretched and deformed. Here is a pic so you can see what im talking about, on the left is the cord near the eye splices and the right is the cord in the middle:
attachment.php

Is it time for a new cord? or are these kinds of ropes supposed to flatten out when you break them in. The outer case is fine, no nicks or fraying or anything. This is my first experience with this kind of system so any insight would be great.

nice pics,WHERE ARE THEY ?

anyway the hitch cord is gonna flatten out when used,if i were u order it by the foot and use double fishermans knot/doubleoverhand knoose(sp) knot to connect to the carribeaner

alot cheaper that way its like 1.90 a foot around here

Back