Choosing a Climbing Line and Splice Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yepper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I'm learning to climb at work and in the market for my own line. Right now I would be using it for DdRT with a prusik cord and hitch climber pulley. I'm interested in branching out to SRT in the future but still have a lot to learn before venturing that way, so would love a line that works for both purposes but doubled rope is the bigger priority right now. Since I haven't handled a lot of different ropes yet I don't exactly know what I'm looking for. The description for Samson Arbormaster reads like a good general purpose line but I'm interested in any other recommendations for the type of climbing I'm doing.

My other question is about spliced eyes, which I understand are required to safely use the hitch climber pulley. I see Wesspur offers either hand or Viking splices. Aside from price what is the practical difference between these styles? Also am I correct that the tight splice vs. a 5" is correct for the hitch climber? Thanks.

I only have Samson Arbormaster climbing ropes and use them for both DRT & SRT. You will probably hear some guys say there are better ropes for SRT, and they're most likely correct, but I'm happy with the Arbormaster for both methods. I do have a splice eye on one of my climbing ropes and I highly recommend it. My next climbing rope (another Arbormaster) will be purchased with a spliced eye. The major difference between the loop ends is that one type is manually spliced ... interwoven back onto/into itself ... whereas all the other names (like Viking) are merely sewn loops. I have no problem with a sewn loop, but I prefer the compactness of a spliced loop. All of my eye-to-eye cords have sewn loops.

Yales 11.7 lines are great for double duty. They are a semi static 24 strand. I used the blue moon and PI for the hitch climber set up before buying a hitch hiker. I used it ddrt for a bit before going to srt.

I like almost anything Yale makes, but Imory is probably my favorite. I recommend a hitch hiker. I use it for both Ddrt and srt. The prussik pully is a hair smother for strictly ddrt but the hitch hiker is better for both. My climbing style I usually switch between the two on any given climb. I want to buy an akimbo.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, settled on Samson Arbormaster and found a neat PDF that explained the loop size question. Having Christmas and a birthday in the same month timed rather well with the budding of my climbing career.. Saved Santa 20% too with that Wesspur black Friday sale!

... found a neat PDF that explained the loop size question.
Good luck with your selection. I wouldn't mind seeing that PDF you mentioned. Can you post a link to it? FWIW, the one spliced eye I have is a tight eye ... just big enough to fit a carabiner through it. When I order my next Arbormaster rope, I intend on getting another tight eye

Good luck with your selection. I wouldn't mind seeing that PDF you mentioned. Can you post a link to it? FWIW, the one spliced eye I have is a tight eye ... just big enough to fit a carabiner through it. When I order my next Arbormaster rope, I intend on getting another tight eye
Me too, tight eyes are nice, stops everything flopping around or rotating

Latest posts

Back