How do you final cut large loww limbings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is another place knees pads come in handy. With a lanyard and a top rope you can lock in pretty well. Enough to use a 44 and one quick back cut right through.
I end up lowering a lot of these types of limbs for fear of root or trunk damage.Usually the tips have been chopped off.

anyone ever come down over a branch somewhere up above the cut so that they hang right where they need to be?

yeah I didn't think it was that complicated. Sometimes I'll clip my lanyard around a branch to hold my position from one side too. Mark Chisholm taught me that one. Then I'll two cut the branch to avoid the tear. ... Mike

You are doing one of those big huge final cuts because the HO had to have a big limb or stem taken off. Ladders will not reach, all TIP's leave you hanging in a weird position and gaffs would leave marks visible from the picturewindow. You would need a huge loopie to get a footstrap in...

For positioning, I'll clip around the trunk with my lanyard,

Say the trunk is 30 inches, that is ~94.25 C

anyone ever come down over a branch somewhere up above the cut so that they hang right where they need to be?

If it is the safest way to do it; I change my TIP regularly, and will climb up if that will facilitate my final cut. One reason my lanyard has a 18ft working length.

I'm talking about the 1:500 situation where everything sucks, double crotching will not give body position. I have taken a climbing line and made an expedient lanyard a few times, but it has not worked out on a few.

I have put on a single gaff a couple of times just for traction, and once moved a nailer board for a bird feeder so I could get a toe-hold on it.

False crotch above cut point. Up far enough for easy positioning to cut on both sides of large final cut if needed.

Latest posts

Back