How do you Get your Firewood out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

THAT IS QUITE A LOAD FOR THAT TRUCK, NO:confused:

Only about 2 cord right? The end of the tailgate is 14'.:hmm3grin2orange: :confused:

Today I used my Honda Foreman 4x4 with a converted 3 slip motor cycle trailer. It works good for going deep in the woods when the trees are close. With the recent ice storm we had I have been loading up with cut limbs and gathering kindlin'.

4wheeler_haulin.jpg

When I got it a few years ago, we used a torch and cut off the 3 motorcyle tire rails and used them as the side verticle supports. Below is a picture before adding the wood bottom and sides, good solid frame with leaf springs. We had to change the hitch to a pin type, but it is nice and long for backing up. Being it was built for 3 motorcyles my guess it will hold many hundred pounds. The cost was free from a buddy, and I have been using it for a couple years keeping it parked outdoors.

trailer_400.jpg

I decided I'd try something a little different to see if there's any more money in it finished than in log lengths. The jurry is still out on this one.

Andy

Chomper011.jpg

Chomper019.jpg

Chomper017.jpg

pic3.jpg

Here's how i get mine! lol.

Only 175 packages for a whole cord.

;)

And on sale for $4 a pack. That comes out to $700 a cord? Gadzooks, man! We are in the wrong business. :dizzy:

How much is that load of wood (72 cu ft) on my avatar picture worth?

.75 cubic foot per bundle. If i am doing the math right, you have roughly 104 bundles on your truck... Approx. $416

3 Point Box

Came up with another way to get wood out... Looking through one of the old shed buildings this weekend, on my wife's 'deceased' grandfather's farm, (where we built our new home), we found an old 3 point box. My father in law said his dad used to use it to haul wood. So he gave it to me along with one of the MF 65 tractors, he has a low and high crop model, I told him I like the high crop model best... I am going to keep it parked below the house in a hay barn. I should be able to try it out tomorrow, got some green wood stacked at the edge of one of the fields we cut a few weeks ago. I will try to take a few pics in action...

Right now it has a link bar on the top, sometime later we are going to weld up a cylindar so I can dump with it....

MF65_box_480.jpg

MF65_box2_480.jpg

Last edited:
Need to add some weight !!

Andy - Boy were you right on that, I loaded down this box for the first time, and had to backup the terrace about 50' just to get to a flat area so I could drive it in toward the wood pile. The front end kept wanting to come up, I could hardly steer. We will be adding some weight to the front before I try that again!

MF_loaded_480.jpg

The whole trip took about 30 minutes, so I went to plan B, got the New Holland (85 hp) out and hooked up our dumpbed trailer... It's the first time I used it for hauling in wood, but with the ice storm a few weeks ago we had alot of limbs down over fences. This was the load (green wood) just from cutting the limbs off the fence rows in one field.

NH_480.jpg

Here are a few more dumping and piling up with the Backhoe.

Dumping at the Wood Pile.

Backhoe help getting the pile taller.

Finishing up the day with cutting a few logs, and splitting.

Hey iCreek, I see Missouri had the same gorgeous weather as we had this weekend, I'm starting to see some green grass around here.

My 'lectric legs

IMG_1515.jpg

Last edited:
Either the Kubota L2250 and a wood wagon built on a small manure spreader frame or the '61 MF 85 and the wood wagon build on the large manure spreader frame.

I'll see about getting some pics up this weekend.

Looking to buy another Kubota, roughly 35 hp, used. Will be more manageable in the woods than the MF and occasionally nice to have 4WD.

Tell you what though, if any trees need pulling to fall against their lean, the weigh and pull of that MF is hard to beat. Some trees I think it would probably pull down without cutting them at all :laugh:

I decided I'd try something a little different to see if there's any more money in it finished than in log lengths. The jurry is still out on this one.

Andy

Chomper011.jpg

Chomper019.jpg

Chomper017.jpg

Hey Andy,

That looks like Ranier Hydraulics Chomper you got there? :clap: Is that a model 14? How long have you had it and how's it performing for you? We have a guy demo one for us last summer and it was quite a rig. So far we're still just doing tree lenght in 3 cord minimums.

Hey Andy,

That looks like Ranier Hydraulics Chomper you got there? :clap: Is that a model 14? How long have you had it and how's it performing for you? We have a guy demo one for us last summer and it was quite a rig. So far we're still just doing tree lenght in 3 cord minimums.

Yep, it's a model 14 with the automatic option. I got it in Sept. 07, the pump was shot and wouldn't develop but 1500 psi, and the 18 horse engine just wasn't enough at my elevation. So I put a new pump and a 35 horse Brigg's on and it does fine now. I think I'm going to upgrade to a bigger pump next.

Andy

Yep, it's a model 14 with the automatic option. I got it in Sept. 07, the pump was shot and wouldn't develop but 1500 psi, and the 18 horse engine just wasn't enough at my elevation. So I put a new pump and a 35 horse Brigg's on and it does fine now. I think I'm going to upgrade to a bigger pump next.

Andy

Very cool! I'm really temped big time. Love the no/low chips deal. I'd be really interested in how it works out for you and the twp other guys I've seen on the site who operate these. Could tilt me.:clap:

Latest posts

Back