How do you haul your saw and gear on your atv?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It came with those tires, they are Carlisle 18x6.50-8. The trailer is from Agri-Fab and it is a dump box, too. It takes about 6-8 trips with it to fill up ether of my trucks.

Here's the "other" atv trailer. Its an old motorcycle hauler. It only has 4.50-8 tires but the fenders are coming off and I have bigger wider tires to put on. I also have stake pockets to weld on for sides as well. It takes 2-3 trips to fill up ether of my trucks.

attachment.php

Last edited:
When I go cut in my grandpas woods I have a large metal milk crate bthats what I think it is atleast. It can hold my sthil 026 a 2 gallon can of gas a jug of bar oil a file scrench small ax and ear protection. I don't use a forestry helmet because I'm not felling anything I'm just bucking up trees that came down on there own or trees my grandpa cut down and wants gone. I just wire tire it to the back rack on my Kawasaki bayou 400. It stays on all the time so I can put whatever in it.

I have a plastic shipping tote that sits on the rear rack, held on by 2 bungees. It holds my Partner P500, gloves, fuel, bar oil, rags, cant hook, Fiskars SS axe and the helmet. Everything fits in and rides well. Traxter has a generous size storage compartment which holds lunch and drinks, tools, wedges, web straps and extra chain loops.
I don't regularly carry the Dolmar 7900 unless there is larger wood to cut. Since it doesn't fit in the box it rides upfront, secured by the handle.
My wood comes home on a 6.5 x 10 flatbed trailer, 3500# axle...3 face cord per load.
And of course a few pictures for better illustration.

July2810004.jpg

July2810005.jpg

July2810006.jpg

How do you like those mud bug tires?

The Mud Bug tires have been excellent. They are a tough carcass, have provided superior traction when required and ride smooth on roads. This set is 27", 2" larger than stock. For my purposes I'm very pleased having selected them.

The Mud Bug tires have been excellent. They are a tough carcass, have provided superior traction when required and ride smooth on roads. This set is 27", 2" larger than stock. For my purposes I'm very pleased having selected them.

Do they wear good? my buddy has a set on a big bear and he goes places my tractor will not

I have a plastic shipping tote that sits on the rear rack, held on by 2 bungees. It holds my Partner P500, gloves, fuel, bar oil, rags, cant hook, Fiskars SS axe and the helmet. Everything fits in and rides well. Traxter has a generous size storage compartment which holds lunch and drinks, tools, wedges, web straps and extra chain loops.
I don't regularly carry the Dolmar 7900 unless there is larger wood to cut. Since it doesn't fit in the box it rides upfront, secured by the handle.
My wood comes home on a 6.5 x 10 flatbed trailer, 3500# axle...3 face cord per load.

July2810004.jpg

I like your front mounted traier hitch. I see you have it so you can remove it when needed. I can see that being really handy moving trailers around.

Good Idea.

Beefie

I like your front mounted traier hitch. I see you have it so you can remove it when needed. I can see that being really handy moving trailers around.

Good Idea.

Yep! Between the hitch and the added clevis up front, that's one serious machine.

I know what I'll be doing next week. Thanks for the pic and great ideas.

Thanks for noticing the mods fella's. Each one has it's purpose and I wouldn't part with any. If anyone wants to copy them let me know and I'll walk you thru it.
Iska3 ~ The front pull bar is made from 2" channel. It's used primarily for pulling trees down. It also comes in handy when compound winching as it provides for convenient attachment.

July2810004.jpg

Hey Sunset, really like you have everything "In it's place", nothing wrong with being organized. I would however like to see a pic of your trailer if you could post it.

OK, trailer pics...on the list for tomorrow.

Thank you for offering up the pic of the trailer. I sure appreciate it as I'm looking to build something that sounds similar to what you describe, but as they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words".

By the way, I noticed your cant hook appears to be homemade. Am I correct? If so or not, you must let us know how you came about with it as I too appreciate the shorter handled version.

Robert

this thread got me thinking, normally I just use a bunch of bungee cords and put everything on my front rack. I went and picked up some square tubing yesterday and I'm going to build a rear reciever. I figure it'll help me move the location of the ball which i find to low and I can build a rack for it then I can haul me gear.

Thanks for noticing the mods fella's. Each one has it's purpose and I wouldn't part with any. If anyone wants to copy them let me know and I'll walk you thru it.
Iska3 ~ The front pull bar is made from 2" channel. It's used primarily for pulling trees down. It also comes in handy when compound winching as it provides for convenient attachment.

I can see where that will come in handy. It would be nice to have that on the 800 for snagging them logs out to the open and the front ball would help putting the log splitter away. Have one on the Blazer but the wheeler would the the best bet. Thanks again!!

Rep was sent ????

John

Trailer pics

Here ya go...

July3110004.jpg

This is the trailer I designed to carry ATV's on the highway. It's 6.5 x 10 (same width as the truck) and allows side loading, drive on and drive off. The floor is made of 2x6's and there is a 1/2" space between each board so they don't rot out. Being a flatbed it has many uses.
Below is a pic of it carrying a cubic yard of topsoil across sand.

Topsoil1cubicyard.jpg

If you're going to build a trailer you may want to consider having a tie rail around the perimeter like this...

July3110006.jpg

Hope this helps.

Nice looking trailer 727 . It looks like it is well built, I too built a rub rail/rope area when I built my trailer.

Once again good idea Rep sent.

Beefie

I'm going to build a rear reciever
move the location of the ball which i find to low

I've made a few receiver hitches for bikes, as well from the factory they were all to low. Most trailers work fine with the top of your ball at 15". See if this height will work for your application.
Here's what I fabbed for my Traxter.

ViewImage.dll

Thanks for the rep you guys have been sending. Sure do appreciate it and feel free to copy anything you see here that would help your situation.
In the earlier pic of the trailer tie rail I should have mentioned about the square pockets that are shown. I used receiver tube and placed them right where the bikes sit. Then using trailer couplers made a convenient and lockable means of securing each bike.

ViewImage.dll

ViewImage.dll

your cant hook appears to be homemade
you must let us know how you came about with it

OK, OK...
Well you can certainly tell it's home made, no getting around that.
Please do not critique my welds, lol.

July3110.jpg

I was at an Amish sawmill one day and they had several laying around. I asked if i could trace the outline onto a large piece of paper. Then came home and worked with the materials I had around.
Although some come with longer handles I wanted to be able to have this with me all the time. Decided to temporarily try a shorter length handle.
These tools really offer tremendous leverage. Mine is 4' overall and I guess at some point I really should finish off this valued tool. It has worked really well in all applications and deserves better. In all fairness it should have a cap on the end of handle and be painted.
...just haven't had the time, :chainsaw:

Back