How do you mod a lawn mower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walk behind- most have fixed throttles, in all honesty maybe a better air filter if possible, and clean deck and razor sharp blade. Outside of boring and it and putting in an over sized piston there isn't a ton to do.

Actually, remove the head gasket and seal with gasket shellac, advance the
flywheel a hair, you will see a big difference....

I know it's a little off topic

But with all these small engine brains around here I thought someone might have an answer. Thanks for the responses

Roy gave the only correct answer.

A tip though.......you will pretty much NEVER meet the sticker claimed HP figure particularly with Briggs engines

Roy gave the only correct answer.

A tip though.......you will pretty much NEVER meet the sticker claimed HP figure particularly with Briggs engines

i've exceeded it by 10%

well that was a few years ago.......... lets just say i have had some cool mowers. and i have been known to have had spray on one of them

What about bolting on a BB fully ported 660, that should help a bit? Do you think the blades would hang on at 13k rpm?

On a more serious note, when the muffler rusted through on my trusty 25 year old 2-stroke i noticed a slight improvement so I poked a bit more of the rust out and it improved even further. It only ran about a year after that, by then there were so many holes in the alloy carriage that it was spreading way more grass than it was collecting.

I had an old hand me down 4 stroke MTD rider and I found that if you lifted the hood and held the gov open you could cut some outrageous donuts in the gravel and on wet grass?? weeeeee haaaaaaaaaaa!!!

mow your lawn more often?

I went a month this summer and there were places that would slow the engine, but it was mostly a dull blade.
Besides, more power out of your lawn mower means you gonna have to push faster...

What type of mower, engine, transmission, etc.

A lot can be done. Pulley changes, timing, dual or even triple exhaust. Bigger carbs, mutiple carbs, crotch rocket engine swaps, turbos, etc.

Look at some pulling lawn tractors. If you really want to see what's possible.

A set of big brodie aluminum heads, a 8-71 weiand, and a couple of 650 barry grant carbs should wake it up.

As already stated. Keep your blade sharp and make sure its turning the proper rpm's. I check our lawnboys at work with a tach and the manual gives + or - rpm range and I set it to the high side. :cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back