How do you patch an Oak tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe S

Reaction score
We have a rather large old oak tree in the back yard and my wife has fed the squarrels for years in the Y's of the tree. Now the squarrels have made a whole into the limb. What do I use to fill this whole and not damage the tree?:confused:

Let's think about this Joe. Who fills the holes in the trees in the forest?
Oaks compartmentalize the damaged area to stop the spread of disease into the tree. If you seal off the area with something you invite moisture to be locked into the wound.

The best to hope for is that the wound will close, the squirrels will move on (if you stop feeding them) and the tree should recover.

Joe,

I would suspect that there was some sort of decay pocket or cavity before the squirrels started using it. I have never seen them carve out a hole in sound wood. But I have never seen California squirrels, maybe there different.

Anyway I recommend that you have the tree inspected for structral integrity if it has any potential targets.

If you think it should be inspected then hire a Professional arborist with some credentials and/or recent continuing education.

If you enjoy the squirrels then keep feeding them. They are not going to make holes in your oak tree. Like Eric said though , if you have a hole in your limb, It may or not be a hazard. Is it a large limb and do you sit under it or do kids play under it ? Is it forming callus tissue around the outside of the hole? You can hit the tree with a rubber mallet to check for hollow wood if you have a good ear, but have a certified arborist look at it if you are unsure. If you do still feed the squirrels, which i think you should if your wife likes that , you should not let all the seed build up really thick in the "Ys" of the branches and become really wet that may predispose the bark area to rot . Let us know what you find out ok? John

Latest posts

Back