How do you quote a land clearing job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry arborpro, I guess I should have just stated a new thread. This is a different job than the OP. Everything gets hauled away and I do have overhead.

I tallied up wages for all of us at $20 an hour and got about $2700. Figured the gas cost for the chipper, dump, and two pickups w/ trailers at about $800. I'm guessing at skid steer w/ grapple rental for 2 days somewhere near $500 so that's $4k in expenses total. ( I hope )

I do have overhead, though it's not much but I need to make something towards that. My price of $12.5k sounds way too high now but maybe that is what it's worth. I'm thinking we could toss a $7k bid on it and be comfortable.

Sorry arborpro, I guess I should have just stated a new thread. This is a different job than the OP. Everything gets hauled away and I do have overhead.

No problem Blakemaster, I was responding to the original post by gink595regarding the CRP clearing job.

Stop thinking in terms of a rate for a bobcat with operator or a sawyer with saws and start breaking things down into labor, small equipment, big equipment, overhead, mileage and profit.

1) Labor: You said one week. If that means 40 hours and each of you (you and your wife) wil be working 40 hours, then 40x2=80 hours. Assuming you won't have any employees other than yourselves and no taxes, insurance or benefits to pay out, you just need to put a price on your labor. If you want to each make $15/hr, then $15x80 = $1200. Bear in mind, your going to have to claim your income (and expenses) on your taxes. No freebies - especially if the state will be aware of your work on the job.

2) Small Equipment: Saw maintenance, cost of oil & gas, chain maintenance, etc all costs money. A rental store probably gets around $75/day for saw rental. Say you're going to use your saw a total of 3 days (cleaning up debris the other two days), then you should charge around $200 or so for small equipment use.

3) Big Equipment: What's a bobcat cost to rent? Around here, one with a grapple costs about $200/day with a grapple. Say 3 full days with bobcat x $200 = $600. What about a pickup and trailer to haul equipment? 5 days x $50 = $250. Mileage???

4) Overhead: If you have absolutely no overhead, you might want to think again about doing this job. Does your homeowner's insurance cover you for any fire damage should the burn pile get out of control or your equipment spark a grass fire in the CRP? So, what will a rider on your insurance cost to get you coverage?

5) Profit: You don't necessarily have to make a profit if you're not really looking to make this a regular gig and if your pay is included in the labor calculations; however, it might not hurt to add a little something for the unexpected - a cushion persay.

Add it all up and I see a number somewhere around $2250 minimum just to cover basic labor and expenses. I think your biggest concern is liability. Make sure you have some kind of liability coverage in place or you could really wind up in trouble if you inadvertantly burn things up and get sued by the state for wrecking their leased property while maintaining it for the owner!

Thanks Arbor pro where were you a couple months back when I needed you? LOL. I have the job completed now and I was right on with your quote, I own my own Bobcat and grapple and saws so really no extra being paid out there. But like you said I figured a "cushion" for unforeseen breakage to replace or repair. I think he got a good deal and I'm happy, so it worked out great.I completed the job, just myself in 4 days. Thanks for the break down on quoting just in case the word of mouth spreads and it becomes more than a planned one timer.

On a side note.

What do you guys charge per mile for a pickup with dual axle trailer loaded or unloaded?
For some reason the number $1.20 comes to mind. Good ballpark figure?

On a side note.

What do you guys charge per mile for a pickup with dual axle trailer loaded or unloaded?
For some reason the number $1.20 comes to mind. Good ballpark figure?

$1.50/mile pickup only (one-way), $2.00/mile w/trailer in tow (one-way.

Way too low to really cover expenses so, I usually try to pad the actual job quote with a little extra to cover travel time also.

Mileage is a hard one to break out on a bid form. Some clients completely understand the need to charge for it and appreciate seeing it separated out from the actual cost of doing the work while others might think $20 for mileage is outrageous.

Thanks Arbor pro where were you a couple months back when I needed you? LOL. I have the job completed now and I was right on with your quote, I own my own Bobcat and grapple and saws so really no extra being paid out there. But like you said I figured a "cushion" for unforeseen breakage to replace or repair. I think he got a good deal and I'm happy, so it worked out great.I completed the job, just myself in 4 days. Thanks for the break down on quoting just in case the word of mouth spreads and it becomes more than a planned one timer.

Help on the first bid is free - help on additional bids is at a 15% commission on the final sale...:cheers:

LOL. Like I told Arbor Pro in the Rep I gave him, I'd proably be more profitable that way. I hate quoting anything, I have no common sense when it comes to it, not a problem doing the work. Just have a major fault when trying to put a price tag on it. I'll never make it in the buisness sense of things I'm to nice, I figure that I would never pay that price and figure no one else would either. ahhhhh :censored: what can ya do!

Sticks an Stones

Always give a pro bid. 1,200 a day is good. Don,t screw it up for everyone who pays licensing, bonding, insurance ( liability & workmans comp. / every head on the jobsite in CA can cost you up to 10,000 in fines.)

Back