How does a tree do this I'm confused

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedling345

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was there a smarter wat to do it that looked pretty careless to me we don't get much storm damage jobs the ones we do are Bradford pears out in the open so I have no experience with this at all

I once knew a guy who knew a guy

Oh, yes, many smarter ways to do that. He was either going back up or down, it wasn't going to just sit there. Not sure on the capacity of their grapple, but they were at the point where they probably could have either stood it back up or cut it at the base and lowered it to the yard.

Cool man thanks for explaining and sorry for the newbie questions..

I once knew a guy who knew a guy

It was partially uprooted. Once the weight was taken off
3ce6.jpg

The way I would have done it, would have been to hold the top with the grapple and buck the log off at the stump. The stump would have sat back, then just underbuck the log into manageable sized pieces.

You could tell this was a professional crew.

I wonder if our friend James was there?

Access with a bucket truck and take small pieces roped back to itself, just as you would any other spar. You could involve a crane or a block in another tree.

Yes. Sitting on the tree and having another dummy hold it with a grapple truck is not the way to do it. That guy got lucky. The way to deal with it is to stay out of the zone where it could potentially fall or rise, then take small pieces so that change is only affected a little at a time.

But it looks like he only had the grapple and no bucket truck. It's easy to say, get a better piece of equipment, the challenge is how to do the job safely with the equipment on hand.

So how would you do it without a bucket?

I don't own a crane, but on jobs I need a crane to perform safely, I figure in cost of rental. If I lose the bid, so be it.

Now, if the question is: "How can that guy do that job with the equipment he has?" The answer might be to tie himself off to the grapple and use it like he would a bucket truck. I don't like that and certainly don't recommend it, but it is waaaayyyy safer than the way he did it.

Or maybe tie in twice to the tree and take very small pieces so it did not spring back all at once. I don't like the idea of riding a failed tree though no matter which way it goes.

I've tied in and stood em back up, a piece at a time... in my youth. No, it's not fun. If it flipped like that, the grapple operator should have been able to feel it. The action of that tree shouldn't have been a surprise. Should have been able to grab it further down, take some weight off, whittle and chuck to the gutter, then cut at the base.

Cutting @ the base would alleviate that. Also, if theres no option but to climb, chink SOMETHING under the uprooted ball (logs, park a vehicle against it) to stop it from violently standing up, and as mentioned before, take small pieces to gradually reduce the counter weighting.

Been there, rode those, wont again.

Back