how high is too high?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn woodcutter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I ran out of pallets and needed to empty the truck. I hate handling it more than I need to so I just kept on stacking. I sure hope it stays put. It's a 12 ft pallet and both stacks are tied together with multiple 2x4s spanning the width but I still am worried. It's over 7.5 ft high. Anyone else been in the same boat?20151122_153404.jpg20151122_153308.jpg

I had one fall. I had stacked two rows on pallets and went pretty high. One side of the pallets collapsed and the back row fell. It was weird bc it had been there for a couple months and i was nearby splitting wood. Watched it fall. What are the chances?

Luckily it was cedar, partially doty oak and some red oak poles. I just restacked in a different spot.

I've seen where frost can heave a stacked pile, and they fall over like drunken sailors. Lol
Should be no problem, as we woodticks know to pile wood so the piece fall into each other, thus holding everything straight and proud.

It feels really solid and I don't see it tipping out. It's really the pressure on the ends that I worry about.

My newer stacks are 7 1/2 to 8 ft tall, but I stack 3 rows deep. @ years going now and no issue.

My grandpa taught me to put a wire around the metal fence post on the end of the stack and run it it a ways and wrap it around a piece of wood. So if the post wants to lean out, it has to drag the wood with it, it's always worke for me as I don't put fence post in the ground very far as I take them back out in spring.

Normal stacks for me are about 8 1/2 foot high. For long term storage I'll stack them with a heavy inward lean. This keeps them in place as dry down.

MVC-018S_13.JPG

MVC-019S_11.JPG

MVC-020S_9.JPG

MVC-019S_20.JPG

First rick you normally have to do 2 at once.

kevin in ohio, you have stacked to many "piles" into stack's to know all the tricks of the trade! telling your learning's of leaning will hold up everyone's stacks too well .... no work for the neighborhood kids to restack hey?? there goes the economy again! lol

Yeah I took a ride in that boat last year... and three re-stacks later I think I finally got mine to get itself under control and keep its balance. Mine got knocked over by some heavy straight-line wind (30-40 mph) that we got back in the summertime. I gave up at one point and left it laying in a pile for a few weeks before finally mustering up the courage to re-stack it and take my time so it stayed. I wish I had a good suggestion for you, but I don't. :(

what is with the back of that shed roof,, behind the binder???

More work!!!! Bad post and the whole shed needs straightened up again. Mother nature has not been too kind to us. Everytime we get one fixed up she decides to send a BIG windstorm. We've got 2 fixed up again and have 3 to redo.

MVC-018S_6.JPG

MVC-020S_4.JPG

MVC-007S.JPG

MVC-014S.JPG

When the wind rips a road sign off, you know there is some force!

More work!!!! Bad post and the whole shed needs straightened up again. Mother nature has not been too kind to us. Everytime we get one fixed up she decides to send a BIG windstorm. We've got 2 fixed up again and have 3 to redo.

MVC-018S_6.JPG

MVC-020S_4.JPG

MVC-007S.JPG

MVC-014S.JPG

Wow that is some serious wind. We have those straight line winds too. Once we had a semi trailer get tipped over and three of our canoes went over a mile in each direction.

MVC-018S_6.JPG

MVC-020S_4.JPG

MVC-007S.JPG

MVC-014S.JPG

That is some insane wind.

When we get winds like that I know there will be more firewood for me waiting along a logging road that abuts a recent cut. A few more trees along the cut line uproot each time as their roots didn't plan for them to be out in the open.

Normal stacks for me are about 8 1/2 foot high. For long term storage I'll stack them with a heavy inward lean. This keeps them in place as dry down.
First rick you normally have to do 2 at once.

Yep, that's my method of stacking out in the open, stack about 6 1/2' high. Never had one fall over but have had the ends blow out after several years. Black Locust doesn't rot so I have a lot of it out there in the pasture that I scrounged when the locust borer struck. One stack of 12 ricks blew both ends out after 10 years. Those piles never quit 'working'.

Harry K

Wow that is some serious wind. We have those straight line winds too. Once we had a semi trailer get tipped over and three of our canoes went over a mile in each direction.

The first 2 pics show the main woodshed. It is completely full. close to 80 cord in there. The only thing that kept it from going down is it is resting on the woodstack! It may be beyond saving at this point. Old style tobacco shed. Someone stole all the wood siding off of it and we resided it with metal. Then it blew the whole standing seam roof off. We then straightened it all and put it back on with straps to hold the rafters on. Then it blew it off the foundations. Poured a lot of new bases with concrete replacing the round rocks and then it did this. Bad place for a barn I guess!

The other shed is here at my place. Is worse than it looks as it shifted off the foundations as well. Broke a lot of beams and posts and insurance totalled it out. I think we can save it but it'll be loads of work. Amish guy wanted $40,000 to do it. That's a new pole barn to me.

I had enough wind for a while needless to say.

MVC-010S.JPG

Even folded my old windpump back

MVC-009S_11.JPG

Got it all fixed up this Summer. Ended up disasembling it, straightening and back up in pieces.

Latest posts

Back