How long of a bar are you running on your 395xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twindad

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Mine wears a 32" which serves me well for most of the milling I do. It also works well for felling and bucking larger stuff. Over the last couple of years, I've had a few chances at some logs up to 50", but have passed them up, because I wasn't equipped, or simply didn't have time to tackle them. The larger logs are mostly oak and hard maple. I've been planning to get a longer bar for a while, but the question is, how long. I do have an auxiliary oiler that I haven't needed with the 32. So, how long of a bar are you milling with on your 395?

going slow with a progressively set chain, possibly more passive than usual and a DIY bobL style oiler high flow setup, you probably can concern in my 6m log and chain thread below there is a bloke using 660/42" on the eastern side of Australia.
Imho based on reading and my 660
Edit, have to stick a 394 together to cross the fence as well :)

All depends on the depth setting on each tooth and how rough a finish you can stand. Skip-tooth will allow longer bar with rougher finish and 3/8 chain will allow an even longer bar.
I am running full-chain (not skip chain) .404 on a 42" bar and it's a nice setup that runs perfectly fine, but I feel the saw could easily move into the 56" range with a shallower depth setting (smaller bite taken from each tooth on the chain). Over 56" and I think a skip-tooth chain for a rougher finish and slow feed and even a 3/8 chain could be used if the .404 was bogging down or to slow.

Thanks for the input, fellas. I'm thinking about going with a bar in the 50-56" range. I do run 3/8 pitch. Looking around online, I've found cannon super bars and Forester brand bars in that length. Does anyone have any experience with the Forester bars? I'm a believer in the adage: you get what you pay for, and there's a big price gap in these two bars. Is there that big of a difference in quality? Would the Forester bar be okay for occasional use?

I run a 60" 3/8 full skip on my ported 395 uploadfromtaptalk1445999860054.jpeg
They look funny on there but when you have a place you don't want to spring board up there's no replacement for a long bar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back