How long to break in a modded saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjorn773

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 346OE that I put an aftermarket p&c on. I milled it down to .016 squish, ported it, and ended up with intake at 80, exh at 100 and trans at 123. The case was massaged to match the transfers, the tank vent was opened up. I think I covered all bases. The saw runs like a banshee when cutting, but I'm still having trouble getting consistent idle out of it. I am having to play with the carb every time I use it. It's to the point that I usually just grab my modded 365BB and use it instead. That said, I probably only have a few hours on this saw since the build. My previous port jobs never ended up being a problem, but I never played with timing. So, my longwinded question is, how many hours roughly does it take to break in and are they normally this tempermental when you play with port timing?

Here's a link to the mod, it's actually one of Brad's that I kinda hijacked toward the end... sorry Brad:)

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/118591-14.htm

A pressure test is a must.And be sure your carb can hold 8-10 lbs of pressure for a minute too,your inlet needle could be leaaking giving you erratic adjustment.

Can you elaborate on how the pressure test is done? Do I disconnect the fuel line and pressure test the inlet? Can it be done with a vacuum pump or need to be pressurized?

Back