How long will a scored P/C last if cleaned up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics aren't the best, but here is what the Piston and Cylinder look like
Incidentally the Poulan Pro Synthetic 2-Cycle oil from Walmart really seems to stick well inside all the parts at 40:1

20190225_192527_resized.jpg 20190225_192544_resized.jpg 20190225_192555_resized.jpg 20190225_192642_resized.jpg 20190225_192701_resized.jpg

2nd piston pic is mostly a stain, 1st shows the ridges that were too deep to buff out

That is what was left after cleaning out the transfer
I was going to just run it until it dies (well I did for a bit), but now that I have it apart again I might just put a new kit on it, unless someone has a good used 288 cylinder.

I spy chipped plating. I think that cylinder is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is correct. It doesn't hurt to sand more though. Get in there with a 180 grit flap and see if that gunk around the exhaust port gets bigger or smaller. Bigger = dead.

You're probably in for a new P&C. Hopefully not bearings or crank.

If you run it like it looks now run more two stroke oil in the mix.

You can probably use 1500 grit paper to clean the piston material out of the scores cylinder. There are used cylinders/pistons on eBay time to time or run a China p/c on it. If you run it this way and it implodes it will cost more to fix down the road. If it wasn’t for bad luck I wouldn’t have any at all. I’d fix it right.

I spy chipped plating. I think that cylinder is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See, to me it just looks like he didn't get all of the aluminum off. It's just too hard to tell with some of these pics. I've taken a half dozen before with a pretty darn good camera phone before I'm happy.

If cleaned up properly, it has the potential to last indefinitely.

+2

The key is to get all the transfer off the cylinder and make sure the ring is cleaned up and moving freely in the piston.

At least a decade ago now I purchased a Husqvarna 55 closed port model with a smoked P/C. It was really bad, and at a glance it didn't look salvageable. I took a pocket knife and cleaned off the transfer on the cylinder and things started to look better. There were some pretty deep grooves in the piston in a few places but it didn't effect the skirt diameter as they were a little off center.

There was a LOT of transfer on the ring and it was stuck hard in the ring groove. Spent some time cleaning all that up, hit the cylinder lightly by hand with some 600 grit auto body sandpaper, back together. I've been running that saw now for all these years and it is flawless and has great compression. Matter of fact just removed some trees that went across the road yesterday in a big wind storm. It's one of my go-to saws and has great power for the cc's.

Last time I checked it compression was close to 150psi........Cliff

See, to me it just looks like he didn't get all of the aluminum off. It's just too hard to tell with some of these pics. I've taken a half dozen before with a pretty darn good camera phone before I'm happy.
I agree, looking at those pictures. You can always check with acid, but must be very careful around ports, will remove aluminum under plating. Would use oil and wet sand paper to remove it. If piston is smooth, put a new ring on it and run it. If you are keeping that saw, light vertical scoring with no ring hanging edges will still run for a long, long time, selling saws is a different story.

Latest posts

Back