how long will this firewood keep

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure hope so. Recent storm brought down at least 6 years worth. I have 4 of these so far. Probably go to 12 before I am done processing the wood.

The two pieces of tin are joined by a 2X4 in the middle.

It's big black cherry rounds cut into quarters.

View attachment 569095

Yes, it is pin oak. Take the top off and let it season a year or so before you cover it. You live in Kentucky, unless you get lots of snow/rain, I probably wouldn't cover it at all. It looks to be stacked too tight to get good circulation between your splits; and may cause a punky problem.

I had uncovered pin oak rounds stacked off the ground but they lasted only 3 years before they got punky.

The splits are stacked so that there is around 1 inch between.

As far as going higher I don't think the stack would be stable, at least with my current methods.

Rain/snow isn't terrible for firewood unless you live in a rainforest.

Sure it won't last quite as long, but use it in 5-6 years and it'll be just fine, at least that's my experience.

It will last forever like that. It may get a little moldy from being so tightly packed in there but it will slowly dry and then will be good indefinitely.

If you need more wood, theres a guy with a huge tree down in his front yard on US 60 near the Woodford/Franklin line. It's on the left after you pass cracker barrel and before you get to Rebecca Ruth Candies as you head toward Versailles. The tree looks to be at least 36 inches diameter at the base. I think the guy is probably old and can't handle the tree himself. It's been down for probably a year, if not longer. You might stop by and ask him if he wants you to get rid of it for him. I've been tempted to stop and check it out to see what kind of shape it's in, but I've got enough places to get wood right now that I haven't bothered.

Norm,

I don't need more myself. I had 6 very large trees go down in the big wind storm a month ago. What I do need is a bigger saw, but I must wait on gainful employment before making such a purchase. As it is now i continue to battle my downed trees with my echo cs-450p 18 inch bar.

I hope to save all my wood for barbecue cooking, but I may not be able to eat that much. Let the challenge begin.....

There is a limit to how long Oak or other hardwood can last in storage conditions. Most of my experience has to do with Oak and Pine. Here in California we have Oak, Cedar, White Fir, Pine, and Eucalyptus in the valley. All the mentioned wood have a great shelf life provided that the wood are kept at 15%. Oak is surprisingly vulnerable to infestation. It will attract insect infestation at 2 years and older even though it is kept relatively dry.

From what I know about Kentucky and its climate you have seasons of very moist weather. It looks like you are using the resources that you have available. Your home made storage shed is probably the best in that air is able to flow around your wood effectively, but after 5 years it could start to decompose. Something that seems to work for me when trying to protect certain wood from decay are mothballs. They last a long time and chemicals do not need to be applied ever couple of months. They work well when the wood is very dry and then partially covered with plastic. Thanks

There is a limit to how long Oak or other hardwood can last in storage conditions. Most of my experience has to do with Oak and Pine. Here in California we have Oak, Cedar, White Fir, Pine, and Eucalyptus in the valley. All the mentioned wood have a great shelf life provided that the wood are kept at 15%. Oak is surprisingly vulnerable to infestation. It will attract insect infestation at 2 years and older even though it is kept relatively dry.

From what I know about Kentucky and its climate you have seasons of very moist weather. It looks like you are using the resources that you have available. Your home made storage shed is probably the best in that air is able to flow around your wood effectively, but after 5 years it could start to decompose. Something that seems to work for me when trying to protect certain wood from decay are mothballs. They last a long time and chemicals do not need to be applied ever couple of months. They work well when the wood is very dry and then partially covered with plastic. Thanks

Then how are there any houses made with wood around if they all get infested and rot in a few years?

Back