how man here free hand sharpen theyre chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been filing for years infact my dad got this new dremel style thing and i chewed up two of my best chains before i got the hang of it.

Always go back to what you know is the truth before accepeting a lie that may be truth by the way it did work ok but sill prefere a fle and my eye

chain grinders are expensive, jigs are kinda funky. a file, a GOOD LIGHT and some patience have seemed to be best for me. Round is very easy for me to get super sharp, chisel is a frustrating time, considering u need a round and a chisel file to get the belly out :p

I took my first 2 chains to get them sharpened by the local STIHL dealer, $12.50 each. Expensive, long wait, and not very sharp. I thought the chainsaw was going bad, until I bought a new chain. Picked up a set of files, spent hours researching and sharpening and ruined the chains. After much practice I can sharpen as good as new. I use a dremel for fixing rocked chains. I have learned that it is best to touch up a chain before it ever gets dull. It is hard to do that with a grinder while in the woods.

I don't want to quote your massive post.....but why did you have to go and ruin all my fun:cry: You are probably right, but I was just starting to get cocky thinkin I had this handfiling thing down. As a nonprofessional, it takes some time to get the hang of it. I have a guide I used once and retired, too big a PIA.

I do grind/sharpen after every 4 or 5 times of handfiling, to get some order restored, However, if hand filing in the field gets you through a day of cutting, it is still a plus:cheers:

You may be one of the guys that is a filing guru ;)

I hand sharpen my chain but use a die grinder to cut down the depth gauges. Sharpening chains by hand is a forever changing technique that always has room for improvement.

Yeah I suppose you're right. Once you've mastered a grinder is does get kinda boring. Some people (like BobL) find filing very relaxing.

my dad taught me free hand, never used a guide or grinder. if i did use a grinder i suspect my dad would want to know if my hands were broke. lol

Heh heh :)

Back