How many guys do work with cranes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, where's my rock smiley...

I like an operator with some nuts! I've been doing crane removals for nearly 20 years and I'm not gonna tear up your crane... Just listen to me!!!

Started out with a 12 ton truck crane and pushed it to the max...

Crane OP's are just like climbers, if they are green at it it makes for a long day on a crane removal. At least 1 needs to be experienced. Two greenhorns is an accident waiting to happen.

It's a rental business. I'll take orders all day......As long as I agree with them. :laugh:

What I like to see in a crane op

Smooth, is probably the first thing I look for. I can tell by the way they drive up and jockey into position. To get your neck snapped back when leaving the ground, and then left swinging back and forth 15 to 20 feet while slowly spinning in a circle trying to give hand signals is not my idea of a smooth entry into the tree.

Quiet confidence is nice to see. The new guy trying to impress is worse than the done it all know it all; neither is a team player. I like to take a minute or two, question pick weights at different distances, and agree on a basic plan to take this tree apart in 3 or 5 or 9 picks. Then we start working together.

Having "The touch" is really nice when pre-tensioning a pick, or gently lifting a trunk section so you never have to hear the sound of cable slapping boom. Pieces rigged right seem to just float away. Some new guys have it, some vets never will.

Nice to hear a "thank you" for helping get set up, dunnage, rigger pads, freeing dead section etc. BUT the crane op that says quietly "thanks for makin me look good", well, I can't wait to work with him again... ; ^ )

By the way, thanks for careing what we are looking for, and thanks for shareing what you ops are looking for. AND welcome to AS!!!!

Smooth, is probably the first thing I look for. I can tell by the way they drive up and jockey into position. To get your neck snapped back when leaving the ground, and then left swinging back and forth 15 to 20 feet while slowly spinning in a circle trying to give hand signals is not my idea of a smooth entry into the tree.

Quiet confidence is nice to see. The new guy trying to impress is worse than the done it all know it all; neither is a team player. I like to take a minute or two, question pick weights at different distances, and agree on a basic plan to take this tree apart in 3 or 5 or 9 picks. Then we start working together.

Having "The touch" is really nice when pre-tensioning a pick, or gently lifting a trunk section so you never have to hear the sound of cable slapping boom. Pieces rigged right seem to just float away. Some new guys have it, some vets never will.

Nice to hear a "thank you" for helping get set up, dunnage, rigger pads, freeing dead section etc. BUT the crane op that says quietly "thanks for makin me look good", well, I can't wait to work with him again... ; ^ )

By the way, thanks for careing what we are looking for, and thanks for shareing what you ops are looking for. AND welcome to AS!!!!

Thanks I think a open mind and realizing that you never know it all keeps yah safe and puts yah ahead of the rest.

I have only done a few crane jobs myself, but managed a company on the east coast and did all the bid work and then contracted the crane companies. It was always easier to just bid in a few extra bucks to bring out the 65-70 ton instead of fooling with the 35-40 ton cranes. Not that they can't get the job done, but its always nice to know you have that extra weight to throw around!! I heard from a buddy that our best crane operator flipped a 70 ton over and got fired, so I guess they won't be calling him anymore.

I have only done a few crane jobs myself, but managed a company on the east coast and did all the bid work and then contracted the crane companies. It was always easier to just bid in a few extra bucks to bring out the 65-70 ton instead of fooling with the 35-40 ton cranes. Not that they can't get the job done, but its always nice to know you have that extra weight to throw around!! I heard from a buddy that our best crane operator flipped a 70 ton over and got fired, so I guess they won't be calling him anymore.

I bet 70% of small crane accidents are on tree jobs. I agree why push it to the edge. Also cranes have two charts tipping and stability. Just because a crane is not standing up doesn't mean that everthing is ok.

Latest posts

Back