How many of you deal with backpain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
How many of you guys have back pain and back problems? I have bouts with it in my left "sacroiliac" which is off of the pelvis; especially if I lift too much and lift too heavy. I ice it, rub some ointment on it, take a few anti-inflammatory pills and luckily it calms down. But it is getting worse with each episode, and with age. Just wondering if you have something similiar, and what you do to deal with it-thanks!

A little back pain. Sometimes a lot. Work accident from about 8 years ago and an auto accident from April of 2005.

For my situation I have been doing maintenance with Mckenzie Extension excercises. Helps a lot and actually can control the pain most of the time. If it's needed, there is always Advil or Aleve.

Funny you should mention this. I have spent the last 4 nights tossing and turning only being able to sleep for a couple of hours at a time, not due to back pain but severe pain in my right hip joint. I do have back pain from time to time but not so severe since I went to a wide backed saddle.

I had to trim and deadwood several trees last week and had to spend a lot more time in the saddle, working on a rope, than I normally would on removals using my spikes. I have been climbing since 91 and I'm nearly 39 years old. I know I won't be able to climb forever but I still love it and hope to have a few good years of climbing left in me.

I actually thought about posting a question about the type of saddle I use and see if it may be the cause of my pain. I use just a plain old 4 D Weaver, which is the type of saddle I have used forever, and heard someone mention in a thread that this type of saddle might cause the hip joints to separate. Haven't had a chance to follow up on that but plan to look into it. I have always used the 4 D weavers because that is what I learned on and has always been most comfortable to me. The guy who taught me how to work off a crane bought me a nice saddle with the leg straps and a floating D back in the 90's. I used it for a week and went back to my old Weaver. It was broke in and comfortable. I also like having multiple attachment points, especially since I went to a split tail system.

For the aches and pains after the day is done, I always just drink a beer. :cheers:

Antiinflammitories help some for the sleepless nights but I hate to take any pills.

Last edited:
Yup, had spinal surgery last year.had part of disk and vertabra removed. when the disk rupture it partial servered the root nerve to my foot.lived on pain pills for seven weeks before i finally was given a m.r.i. then cleared for surgery by doctors and insurance. leg,foot and back still arent close to what they were. i have not found much relieve from any thing that i've tried. I can only cut and split for an hour or so at time now.But i can at least walk now.guy next door is in a wheelchair after a bike accident years ago.so i can't even think about complaining.DON't take no from the doctors if you believe that there is something seriously wrong,its your body ,you know if it is right or not.come to find out the only reason that they did not want to give me a m.r.i. was that it cost $1200.00. stupid me thats what i thought i had insurance for.

back pain

Ihave had 2 discs out and 1 bulging talk about pain I live on painpills for 8 years no Insurance dont know any body that had suregery and said thay was better maybe 1 or 2 it helped :confused:

Hm, been there, still there, but its the least of my worries. I can't do anti-inflammatories or over the counter analgesics, make me sick as a dog, so when I'm really buggered its narcotics but just enough to function. Several things to consider if it is not apparent injury. Firstly and the one I have a major problem with is gluten, wheat being the worst. My dear mom pointed this out to me many years ago and I did a month long test with/without flour products. The conclusions were quite revealing, I'm slightly allergic to gluten and the end result of too much is a toxic like tension in my lower back that near cripples me (no pigging out on pizza ect. ect.). Keeping this aspect under control has lessened my lower back stress 90%+ and a surprising number of friends with similar problems have found great change (for the better) keeping this in mind over the years. I do have physical problems too with lower lumbars but watching my flour intake (esp. whole wheat in my case) has significantly lessened the times it lays me up. Just a thought. The other thing is to drop the gut, lose it (or more than ya got), and keep your stomach muscles in some sort of decent shape, they are the dynamic force that balances our spine and keeps us erect. Of course there are as many different problems as there are people but these couple of things have helped me greatly in maintaining my back as best as it can be. I'm not addressing everyone here, especially those with spinal damage, but for those who are having problems that they can't quite put a finger on this is something you may consider and try for yourself whether lowering your intake of processed and gluten rich foods might help, you could well be surprized. Thats it from me for now and all my best wishes and healing prayers to those that have to go through these sort of pains, it ain't fun and sure as hell no joke, I know.

:cheers:

Serge

Sciatic back pain often shows up as hip problems with those nasty stingers numbing out the hip and leg. Laying on the floor and stretching helps. Sleeping on the floor or on a hard mattress good also. I also use a vibrating mat that goes on a chair or lays flat to relieve it also. I use it in the truck if I am going to be doing a long drive or sitting a lot. It is no fun and does get worse with age. Good luck

Sad to say, "Welcome to the club!" Our biz is rife with those who suffer from musculoskeletal pain. I have chronic costochondritis from pole sawing, lopping, climbing, etc. Many nights it wakes me up to the point where I am up and down all night long. I'm used to it, but since it mimics, to a certain extent, the pain felt during a heart attack, it may eventually kill me if an actual heart attack does sneak up on me. Funny thing, because I'm used to chest pain now, my heart rate stays its normal 62-68 beats/minute even when the pain jolts me awake. When I was younger, it used to go up to over 100 just from the anxiety of feeling pains in my chest. I have thought about getting out of our profession to try and feel "normal" again, but I really like the whole tree scene, so I stay put. As for back pain--Oh yeah! There are times when I can barely get up off the couch if I come back from a big climbing/take-down gig and fall asleep after a beer.

Nothing ten cords a day wont cure suck it up and get back to work!
Everyone has back pain and older the worse it just makes me laugh
when some 18 to 20 year old thinks his back hurts. I am not saying
a traumatic event but just pain in general they just don't know the
meaning of it yet mostly! Of course they're are people that could say that about 45 just not as many! Pa is one of those that does
know about it back pain sucks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

I appreciate all of the responses. Since I posted, my back is calming down, like it usually does with treatment and time. I don't know if I pulled a muscle or a ligament; all I know is when I was lifting I felt this sudden onset of pain that lasted several seconds and felt like someone had one end of a muscle or ligament and someone else had the other end and they each pulled like they were playing tug-of-war! What always scares me though, is that these things seem to get worse with time (age). I did a lot of "searching" on this subject, and was suprised to see that most back problems can be helped with things that some of you suggested: streching exercises, tightening up the stomach muscles, keeping the "spare tire" underinflated, etc. According to the "experts", serious back problems aren't that common; but I'm sure that some of you will disagree with them on that. One thing that I've been taking that really seems to help speed the healing is Bromelain, which is derived from pineapples. It helps with inflammation and seems to help the body "recover" faster. It's available at any health food store. Thanks again and best of health to us all!

How old are all of you? I am just curious. Another question I'd ask, do you think there is anything you could have done different to avoid the long term injuries?

I understand the pain you all feel. I have a brother that is a professional athlete. He is tremendously strong, but the sport has taken it's toll. An arthritic back, extensive ankle surgery, etc. All this at age 37. He has a tough road ahead in years to come and I don't envy him.

How old are all of you? I am just curious. Another question I'd ask, do you think there is anything you could have done different to avoid the long term injuries?

I'm 47. I think that my situation comes from the fact that when I lift, I seem to lift "lefty" and twist the left side of my body a bit. I also spent hours riding in my wife's Rav 4 last week driving to visit her brother, and the guest bed that they had was very small, and I remember I was twisted to the left a lot and was very uncomfortable. I think that it's been one thing after another and I've been pushing myself and finally your body says "enough" and you get hurt. Once this really calms down, I'm gonna do some of the light exercises that I've read about. I think they'll help. And I hope that your brother finds some relief-it (pain) can really take the joy out of life.

44,climb almost every day,back is the one thing that doesnt bother much,but do have alot of joint pain,carpal tunnel,always something hurting,lol,i actually get more sore/stiff if I'm not as busy.

most back problems can be helped with things that some of you suggested: streching exercises, tightening up the stomach muscles, keeping the "spare tire" underinflated, etc.

Keep your abs tight and it does take alot off your back,no gut here,and stretching def helps,and a few beers at the end of the day too,lol:givebeer:

when my dad was younger he used to do tree work and had a lot of issues with his back going 'out' he quit tree work, and the pain and all was still ther, so he had his first surgery at about age. . .33(im guessing) and it was not good, he had 2 bulging, 1 herniated, and 1 slipped disc, so they went in and cut off the excess, that did not fix anything. at about age 34 or 35, he had a second surgery to fuse his spine with 8 screws and 2 rods, then they put a piece of bone from your hip in the gaps and in a sence, it 'welds' your spine solid. This was also not a sucess, the one screw got put through too far and he now has pemanent nerve damage and he is partially paralized in his right leg. No joke, if i tickle both feet he cannot feel a tickle sensation in the right foot.

NOW, on the other had, my grandpa had the same thing done, as fas are fusing and all that. . .and he is as good as new, The surgery is a blessing if you get a good doctor, my dad is now has permanent scarring on his nerves.

38 here, soon to be 39.

One thing I have always heard is use it or lose it. Stay active. I have friends that are my age that work behind a desk who are overweight and in terrible shape. I know some of them look at me with a wry grin, Knowing that I am a climber, and think that I'm nothing more than an overgrown teenager. That's just fine with me. I still feel like an overgrown teenager (if only in my mind). Stay active. Set fun goals for yourself. I love to hunt in the fall and winter and always begin a workout regiment a couple months before season starts. I work hard for a living but it's still important to get your heart rate up a few times a week with cardiovasculars. I am planing a primitive elk hunt in Colorado next year. That gives me a lot of incentive to stay in shape.

Don't smoke and be moderate in your drinking.

I have degnerative disc disorder throughout my back, and was told I had the spine of a 60 year old eight years ago when I was 40 and had suffered a crushed disc from a parachute landing that went really bad in a hurry.

I take celebrex twice a day for my back and feet which generally keeps things under control, and T3s or Percocet on very rare occasions when the pain gets to me, which is not often. Usually a few sessions of physio are most helpful. My time in Afghanistan did not help as I was sleeping on an Army cot for nine months.

When I was injured I had physio but also accupuncture which really helped with the acute pain I was experiencing. The first time it hurt, I think because I was tense, but the follow up visits were no biggie.

Also make sure you have a good mattress and turn it regularly.

I agree use it or lose it. I would play hockey seven days a week but for this job.

As far as long term injuries not jumping out of a plane 800 times would have helped. LOL

Latest posts

Back