How do you handle a hookaroon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg I made my own hookaroon. It is a must have handy tool. I can pull, push or lift with it. A plus is I can stick it in the ground and it is alway standing nearby ready for use. I never knew of a hookarron. A member here posted a thread on homemade hookaroons. I always carry it with me when working firewood.

Have a couple of 30" Logrite hookaroons...very useful tool and a back saver to say the least.

Have a couple of 30" Logrite hookaroons...very useful tool and a back saver to say the least.
Do you have a problem indexing the head with the Logrite?
I've got the Peavey version, with the Ax handle that indexes itself. I've wanted to try a Logrite but was afraid I'd be constantly looking at the head to make sure the hook was properly oriented.

I've got the Peavey version, with the Ax handle that indexes itself. I've wanted to try a Logrite but was afraid I'd be constantly looking at the head to make sure the hook was properly oriented.
I haven't so far...you do have to look at it at times, but you get used to it. I do like the axe handled versions for that reason though. I may tape off the backside of the blue handle and paint a bright colored stripe parallel down the handle, then that way you know if you see the stripe up, the point is always 180'd back at you.

It has never given a problem, seems to mostly index itself. Very occasionally I have to look and re=orient it. The light weigh plus just the right weight on the head end seems to be just right. All in all a very well designed tool.

If you have a friend with one, borrow it some time and try it out but remember that one does get used to the tool they use regularly and anything else feels awkward at first.

I haven't tried an ax-handle one but just the pics seem to say 'too much weight' for the job it does.

Mine is a Dixie and shaped like Jere's. I wonder if the ones with more hook would work better. Don't be bashful about filing to a very sharp point, so you never want to hit anything but wood. Dull tools are more aggravating and dangerous. I use mine mostly for off loading wood from the trailer/truck or moving large round firewood that is sitting on the end. Sock it in near the bottom and lift and spin, like moving the wood into place under the hydro splitter when in vertical position. I never cut wood without it. Big back saver.

Latest posts

Back