How many of you have a CHIP TRUCK w/ a Grapple on it ? Or know someone with one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenstar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Fellas

A log loader on the same truck. Tow the chipper behind. Load a couple big butt logs on top after. Done deal!!

Have any of you thought of doing this.

i think it would be great!

I just dont want to encounter the unexpected if i go through all the work of getting one made up

Fellas

A log loader on the same truck. Tow the chipper behind. Load a couple big butt logs on top after. Done deal!!

Have any of you thought of doing this.

i think it would be great!

I just dont want to encounter the unexpected if i go through all the work of getting one made up
Well a grapple truck can pull chipper but it would defeat the purpose of having it imo. I love my old grapple truck but the cost proved too much for my market to support. Maybe a smaller grapple actually mounted to chipper so that it could load small length big diam logs and also feed chipper might be nice. However a simple I beam to the inside top of chip truck body with a rolling hoist would probably suffice.

Well a grapple truck can pull chipper but it would defeat the purpose of having it imo. I love my old grapple truck but the cost proved too much for my market to support. Maybe a smaller grapple actually mounted to chipper so that it could load small length big diam logs and also feed chipper might be nice. However a simple I beam to the inside top of chip truck body with a rolling hoist would probably suffice.

Well the beam would need support not just welded to body unless only lifting smaller sections

As long as its a tandem axle you're all set. I see too many chip truck/grapple hybrids that are only 33K gvw. By the time you mount the grapple, hoses, fluid on there you have about 5K of room to put wood until you're overloaded.

As long as its a tandem axle you're all set. I see too many chip truck/grapple hybrids that are only 33K gvw. By the time you mount the grapple, hoses, fluid on there you have about 5K of room to put wood until you're overloaded.

Mine was tandum Mack but it still could easily be overloaded as it weighed 29.5k empty and only could be tagged for 44k
So 7 ton was limit but I had pulled into scales at 10 ton. 3 ton over and was not even remotely full!

Are you talking about even a mini-loader? Like a Palfinger loader or something.. thats folds up? I thought those only weigh about 2-3k pounds.

What kind of loader did you have on yours?

I was thinking on some 25,000 gvw cabover truck or something... with a 10' arbortech chip body/toolbox package on it (weighs about 3,500-4,000lbs, i called them).. Have it mounted in a space right between the cab and the toolbox & body.?

buddy runs an old GMC Brigadier which has a knuckleboom on it and he put a 14 foot dump bed on it. Blows it full of chips, goes and dumps them and comes back for the logs on larger jobs. Weight limit is the tricky part so he is careful! I have looked at the tow behind dump trailers with the log grapple and hydraulic winch setup that can be pulled behind a 3/4 ton pickup.

buddy runs an old GMC Brigadier which has a knuckleboom on it and he put a 14 foot dump bed on it. Blows it full of chips, goes and dumps them and comes back for the logs on larger jobs. Weight limit is the tricky part so he is careful! I have looked at the tow behind dump trailers with the log grapple and hydraulic winch setup that can be pulled behind a 3/4 ton pickup.

my single can weigh 38k, with a 14 foot bed i have a hard time exceeding it. full of like maple and what not i only weigh in at 33-35k oak sometimes I'm at 1k over. my truck weighs right around 20k empty. so i can haul around 18k all of my empty weight is behind the cab on the front axle from the crane.

depends how you set it up to, i have air out the back for a trailer. and a 18 foot tilt deck with air on it rated for 22k when i do the combo i can pull around 40k with a single. we had to beef the motor up a bit do some injector work. it just had an engine brake installed to help slow it down.

our straight log truck is a tri axle and is not really residential friendly your gonna do some driveway damage with it.

Last edited:
a buddy of mine has a grapple truck with sides so it looks like a dump truck without the back door and the support beam on the back for the grapple arm is shaped like an upside down v so he can soot the chips through it

Back