How many people burn wood do you think??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
seeing my last post was so popular here is another ..
How many people in your town or city burn wood for a majority of the heat they need.
I would think that less populated ares would be higher as the gas companies don't have a grid setup.
In those areas propane and oil would be there main fuel unless they have wood.
now we all burn wood for different reasons but this forum is full of what i call hardcore wood burning people that would rather spend a hundred bucks on gas to cut 1 cord of wood than give it to the gas company .
I would say in my family and my wifes family there are 12 families and with homes and cottages 15 places in total that need heat in winter and out of those 15 6 have a means of burning wood but only 2 use wood as the main source of heat .
we all but 1 have a gas line available .
shayne

No NG here, so most burn wood in these parts. A few burn oil, or have electric, or LP gas. We are in the remotes of the coastal mountain area.

Last edited:
Where I live in MN a lot of people burn wood. It isn't a real populated area so the smoke really isn't a problem at all. OWB are pretty common, but a lot of people have the furnace in their houses as well. Just this fall two more people put in OWB due to high heating costs:confused:

I live in a small town that borders the Allegheny national Forest there is no gas out here only option is would or propane everyone out here burns wood including the only bar and the only restaurant some people have a small propane set up as backup

Wow - I really have no clue here. I have 2 neighbors within a block that heat mostly with wood, but I don't think I can recall seeing large wood piles in any other locations in town (but then, I can't see in the back yards very well). Lots of firepits and all that, but very little burning for primary heat that I know of. Several OWB's just outside of town, though. One jerk always seems to be burning tires or something - thick black smoke a lot of the time.

I live near a small tourist town with a lot of empty vacation homes during the majority of heating season (very energy efficient!!.....) outside of town is quite rural and i would say close to 1/4 of people burn wood to some extent.

Here where Im at there's three neighbors within a mile. We all heat with wood as much as possible. I also have lp heat. My climate here in Texas makes me use some lp. May be 55 degrees at night and up to 75 during the day. Not worth lighting the woodstove. So I'll use the lp in the morning just to take the chill out.:givebeer:

Where I live most cut as needed but the mojority are to lazy to heat with wood. Me on the other hand enjoy the physical labor and the savings. Seems that people in my area have more money than sense and don't mind giving everything they make to someone else for convenience. I hope the country in a whole will wake up and realize driving a new car or having a big house doesn't mean your well to do. My grandparents had more money than quaker had oats and my grandpa bought one new vehicle.... for my grandma

Wood burning here seems to be on the decline. Used to be coming downgrade into twon the valley would have a smoke haze over it on a cold morning. Don't see that anymore.

I know of 3 people now who burn wood, one only for his shop (burns a bunch!) and one only has a cookstove. Nearest neighbor just put in a pellet stove last year. I sell 3 or 4 cord of willow a year to one family and a new guy called lasdt spring wanting 3 cord. Used to be I had to turn away people wanting wood. Now I put up a "wood for sale" sign when I get overstocked and may pick up one inquiry.

Harry K

I guess more people around me burn than I knew. 4 houses on our private lane and we all burn but the power company has been trimming the lines around here for the past year or so and the wood they leave is gone immediately. Have even seen fights on the side of the road over wood! I was gathering along the road on my marked property behind a guardrail, 3 guys in a pickup stopped like they were gonna get some, I guess me pointing my .45 at the private property sign motivated them to move along.... :rock:

As a firewood seller I can tell you the number has grown dramatically around here over the last 20 years. When I first started out, just about every delivery was a half a cord to a full cord. Now my most popular delivery is 2 cords and I have a bunch of 3-4 cord deliveries and wood is getting harder and harder to find.

In our area I am probably the only one that burns wood all the time. I have LP but never use it I burn my Garn year around. Most people around here pay the gas man or the power company with electric heat. Some folks have fire places or wood stove and will burn them on weekends when they are home to load the wood but wood burning has declined around here in the last 20 years. I burn a lot of wood in brush piles when cleaning pastures and fields that no one seems to want. I only save the locust and hedge for my burning and burn the elm and other soft woods in the brush pile. Years ago people were always looking for wood to cut.

Not a lot of wood stacks around here. I keep one neighbor in wood, but don't see very many stacks around town, but I know there are some.

1 other house on my street, my neighbor Kenny. There are a couple other houses with stoves or fireplaces but they dont use them as a primary.

Very few. Natural gas lines are run to most of the homes, and what don't have NG, there is propane. I would say less than 1% locally.

I do, but have the NG forced air furnace as a backup, and it's the primary heat source when I'm out of town for more than 18 hrs. For some reason I can't seem to get the dog trained to load the insert and let herself in and out to go to potty.

I know of 2 neighbors who had fireplaces years ago. One of them scrounged from me a few years ago when I was trimming small branches in my yard trees and he wanted ambiance wood for that coming winter. The other gave me a go-devil type maul and a couple of splitting wedges when he saw me splitting one day. He had converted his fireplace to a gas insert because his wife was complaining about the "mess" of burning splits.

I'll go out on a limb and say 1%. I live a few miles out of town and natural gas is pretty prevalent. In my immediate area it is all propane and still I know of only one other who burns exclusively with wood, his only source of heat. I wouldn't go so far as say lazy but most find wood alot of work and not worth the trouble. I live in a woods, have to take care of down trees anyway and enjoy the work. I burn full time unless out of town or the insert can't keep up. Interesting to note, what owb's I have seen in the area seem to go along for a while and then go out of operation. Don't know if people move or just don't want to move that much wood. Becoming a society of convenience more all the time that's for sure..........

Around a third of 'em I'd say. This is Amish country; certainly bumps the full time wood heating numbers. Weekend wood burners are numerous ~ small stacks that seem to last all year.

There's no gas service out here in the sticks so most folks heat with LP, oil or electric.

Latest posts

Back