How many times do you touch each piece of wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not fortunate enough to have need for much wood at the house, just a fire pit outside, but I along with my brothers and cousins split all my grandmothers firewood and this is how
1 cut tree
2 drag with tractor to "landing"
3 buck and
4 split in place
5 throw into small trailer and drive 4wheeler to stack
6 stack.
Then my cousin brings it close by the door every day or so for grandma to take in. Handling is #4&5&6 only. But I am lucky to get to use a tractor to skid it out of the woods.
But I like it.

:chainsawguy: 1. Place round on loglift. 2. split straight into 3 cubic m3 trailer. 3. drive, then tip firewood at customer,s home. I don,t touch the wood after this ,no lifting of wood in whole process.loglift does it,split at chest height straight into trailer,only handling wood thru splitter .NO moving,stacking firewood at client,s place whatsoever ,I am 55, had 2 hips replaced ,shoulder reco, and cut wood for a living for 38 years now.I eliminated as much as possible bending to process firewood ,I work smarter, not harder than i used to maintain production,approx 9 cubic m3 of dry,split hardwood delivered per day in firewood season.:popcorn:

NOT sure if I should post this but we are at exactly Zero times for our OWB. Luckily I have quite a bit of equipment around. The wood we use in our fireplace we touch twice out of the loader bucket stack in attached garage then into the fireplace.
woodstuff007.jpg

It doesn't matter how many times I handle the firewood; i am at 17 months before handling the phone to call fuel oil dude.
[i'm at 10 or 14 times for each piece of firewood-even when splitting and rotating my stock i can't have it messy]

I am not fortunate enough to have need for much wood at the house, just a fire pit outside, but I along with my brothers and cousins split all my grandmothers firewood. But I am lucky to get to use a tractor to skid it out of the woods.
But I like it.

I think you are more LUCKY to get to help your Grandma stay warm in the winter.

cut tree down, use fiskars tp split where it sits, then load in truck. I'll consider this the first handling... so one and its in the truck,

two, stacked on pallets

Three, moved on pallet to side of porch with forks on tractor.

Four, into the wood eating monster.

three times by hand...

for years I loaded up huge rounds, brough back to house, unloaded, split, then stacked then loaded into truck at the back of property then unloaded into a rack in the garage. I'd much rather split it all up the first go around, the less handling the better.

-cut tree
-split where it lays after bucking(majority doesn't need to be split)
-make small stacks in woods to dry for next year(new step I just started)
-load on atv trailer
-stack while unloading trailer
-put in OWB.

I guess thats 4, 5 if it needs splitting. Works for me, don't see how I could reduce it really.

NOT sure if I should post this but we are at exactly Zero times for our OWB. Luckily I have quite a bit of equipment around. The wood we use in our fireplace we touch twice out of the loader bucket stack in attached garage then into the fireplace.
woodstuff007.jpg
i've got it down to 2 times.1 time with the skidsteer,1 time with my hands....to "smooth off the load" so it looks good.

i like your stove!!!....woodman6666.....& the way you load it. :hmm3grin2orange:

My wife has been gone for a week.. are you sure ya wanna know how much i touch my wood....:hmm3grin2orange:

1. Cut, split and then load into trailer.
2. Unload and stack at home.
3. Carry from stack to wood heater or wood box inside.
4. Take wood from box, place into heater.

Our wood box is actually a blanket box made of timber with a hinged lid. Also have a tin for the sticks & kindling, fire poker etc.

I should have known where this one would go based on the title. :D

At least I know I'm not the only one. Seems like, except for the owb guys with skid loaders, I'm about average. I can use my dads tractor with the loader, but it doesn't seem to help any. More messing around than anything. I guess I'll just continue on. I guess I was hoping for some magical insight. Short of a processor, skidder, conveyer, and dump trailer I think its as good as its going to get. Hard to justify that for 8ish cords a year.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Back