How Many Woodstoves Do You Actually Use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
max2cam

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Just a trivia question: How many woodstoves do you guys have and actually use during the course of a year and for what purposes?

I have 3 going on 4.

Thay are:

1) 1980-vintage Mama Bear Fisher boxstove for a winter heating source in a modest log home. We also heat water on it and do a limited amount of cooking on it too. Runs from around October to April. The Fisher is a good heat-producer. I like when it cranks up and the air intakes are wide open and it goes: "Whoof! Whoof! Whoof!" It replaced a Chinese copy of a Vermont Castings Franklin style stove that had cracked in several places and was not very a good design IMO.

2) Indoor rock stove/oven which was originally built as a big "Russian" style masonry stove with flues thru a sand filled chamber heat-sink and with many air-blast nozzles directed into the firebox. But in recent years it has become a winter bread and pizza baking oven a task it performs to perfection!

3) Summer outdoor boxstove with simple exhaust pipe and cap. This baby is where I burn sticks and branches to heat water for coffee and bathing purposes. I have cut down my propane useage by about 1/2 thanks to this guy! It's an old boxstove with lids and it's amazing how quickly water boils when you take the lids off! A couple handfuls of sticks and bingo!

4) Outdoor summer pizza rock oven now under construction. When I get this baby done I'll have all my bases covered. Then we'll be able to bake home-made pizza and bread in the summer when it's too hot to fire up the indoor rock stove.

Now if I could just convince my car to run on sticks and wood-gas!

:chainsawguy:

Ductape

Ductape

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'll say two if i can include my outdoor chiminea. My indoor stove is an older enameled Vermont Castings resolute acclaim. Its a great supplemental heatsource (or is the oil furnace the supplemental heatsource??), but doesn't quite heat our home (without help) in the coldest weeks. I figure it saves me a good $1500 a year in heating oil, which allows me to justify a few more chainsaws, dump trailer, etc., etc.

My outdoor chiminea is used on non-buggie evenings, to help beer consumption. I also use it to get rid of other burnable items, which i shall not itemize !!!

Kate Butler

Kate Butler

ArboristSite Guru
woodstoves

I have a Sam Daniels woodburning furnace tied in with a propane backup furnace. And then, there's the incredibly gorgeous Glenwood cookstove with 5 dampers and two ovens: I cook on that all winter and some of the rest of the year.

kellog

kellog

ArboristSite Operative
I have 2500 sq. ft on three levels including the basement. Hearthmate (Cat) in basement and VC Winter Warm (Cat) on first floor. Stayed toasty warm this winter. The basement stove does most of the work. The VC is for ambiance and when the temps get to the low teens.

Burned about 100 gals of heating oil in Feb and March. Almost none in Dec and Jan. (stoves cannot keep up with low single digit and below temps). Guess I need another one, huh.

wdchuck

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
My one Daka is enough to feed, getting 6-7 cords per year free is hard enough, but feeding multiples would be too much.

OWB's are popping up like weeds around here, sucking up all the free/easy stuff.

Last edited:
Basso

Basso

ArboristSite Operative
Hello,
I have a Regency Hearthstove in the family room and a Regency medium size woodstove in my detached workshop. Both have blowers and I wouldn't want any stove without one. Just thought that I would add that last part !!!!!!

Basso

logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Too Many Beasts to Feed

1. House: 2001 VC Encore cat
2. House: 2005 Jotul Oslo
3. Shop: Tempwood steel top load
4. Hot Tub: Snorkel aluminum !
5. Sold: Sauna Jotul 602B

I'm tired.:chainsaw: :givebeer:

max2cam

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
I'll say two if i can include my outdoor chiminea. My indoor stove is an older enameled Vermont Castings resolute acclaim. Its a great supplemental heatsource (or is the oil furnace the supplemental heatsource??), but doesn't quite heat our home (without help) in the coldest weeks. I figure it saves me a good $1500 a year in heating oil, which allows me to justify a few more chainsaws, dump trailer, etc., etc.

My outdoor chiminea is used on non-buggie evenings, to help beer consumption. I also use it to get rid of other burnable items, which i shall not itemize !!!

What is a chiminea stove? Not sure if I've ever heard of one.

Saving $1500 is fighting back and no mistake!

max2cam

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
I have a Sam Daniels woodburning furnace tied in with a propane backup furnace. And then, there's the incredibly gorgeous Glenwood cookstove with 5 dampers and two ovens: I cook on that all winter and some of the rest of the year.

What a nice cookstove! Five dampers and two ovens! I'd love to have one of those!

Many years ago I lived in an old farmhouse that still had an old wood cookstove in it. It was big and enameled white and I think it was a "Home Comfort." I never once tried it out altho I heated the house with wood. I would sure like to have that cookstove now here.

Thinking back, there was also an old wood/electric combo cookstove there. I think it was a Monarch. Unless it was wood/gas combo. Somebody will know.