How many years ahead should you be with firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robespierre

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I wanted to ask if I am just wasting time collecting more firewood if I am already 7 years ahead? I have white oak and other hardwoods like euc, mulberry and elm split and stacked off the ground on pallets and I wanted to see what your opinion on how many years ahead might be too many ? I guess I can always sell the wood if it starts getting punky but I would rather it just keep seasoning. I try to split large splits so it will take longer to dry and buy me some time as opposed to little splits that would go bad quicker.

Thoughts??

I wanted to ask if I am just wasting time collecting more firewood if I am already 7 years ahead? I have white oak and other hardwoods like euc, mulberry and elm split and stacked off the ground on pallets and I wanted to see what your opinion on how many years ahead might be too many ? I guess I can always sell the wood if it starts getting punky but I would rather it just keep seasoning. I try to split large splits so it will take longer to dry and buy me some time as opposed to little splits that would go bad quicker.

Thoughts??

Dunno about your species but I have over 80 cord in my stash, use about 6/yr. Of course mine is black locust and that stuff doesn't rot.

As for taking longer to dry - it is wet wood that detiorates fastest. I would think that splitting yours for fastest drying would be best.

Harry K

I'll send you a ticket for next winter, you can take the year off and come do mine, that way you won't get out of practice. Conggrats on being so far ahead, you're making the rest of us look bad! I don't know your particular weather in California, but I wouldn't want to leave mine out in the elements for 7 years here in Illinois. MUD

I use about 2 cords a year and have 14-17 cords stacked at this time.I don't even know why I posed the question because at this point I can't stop processing firewood because I enjoy doing it and it is my gym membership and stress reliever.

Last weekend I scored most of the trunk wood from a 225 year old Valley Oak. I had it all dumped at a frineds house who has alot of land and i will probably pull another 5 cords from that this weekend. Just turn up the stereo, grab the Fiskars and start slammin'.

I donate wood every year to the local food bank. They distribute it to needy families, or I deliver it myself to some of the elderly people who could use it. Many are on fixed incomes and oil is expensive up here. I won't let anyone be cold if I can do something about it, and I have plenty of years worth of wood ahead. Good for the body and it just plain feels good to do it. Good for you to keep processing -- never stop.

If you like it keep doing it.

I think I'd start selling some though.

I would say bare minimum is 1 full year ahead - then if something happens you're good for a year & have time to react & prepare otherwise if you have to. I'd like to be two full ahead though. Any more than three & I'd start selling, as long as I was fully willing & able to keep cutting.

If you like it keep doing it.

I think I'd start selling some though.

I would say bare minimum is 1 full year ahead - then if something happens you're good for a year & have time to react & prepare otherwise if you have to. I'd like to be two full ahead though. Any more than three & I'd start selling, as long as I was fully willing & able to keep cutting.

I keep ahead 1 year, would like to be two years ahead , like you said if something happens. We also sell 35-40 cord a year.

All great points above . Im always about 1 year ahead..sometimes less . But with the mixed hardwoods up this way..and good winds...and split just right..its no prob at all !! I agree that you should sell some . You dont want a bunch of punky..or too dry wood . Make some extra cash...or donate . Keep on cutting and splitting !!

I use about 2 cords a year and have 14-17 cords stacked at this time.I don't even know why I posed the question because at this point I can't stop processing firewood because I enjoy doing it and it is my gym membership and stress reliever.

Last weekend I scored most of the trunk wood from a 225 year old Valley Oak. I had it all dumped at a frineds house who has alot of land and i will probably pull another 5 cords from that this weekend. Just turn up the stereo, grab the Fiskars and start slammin'.

Some friends think I'm crazy with at least 5 yrs' worth of wood in the stacks here. Could be, don't care. When they get on my case, I mention how they pay a gym to exercise, but I get quite a lot of product to show for my workouts. That quiets them.

Wood raffles are very popular up here for many an organization . The food bank in my town is run by the church and they provide more than just food. There is just as great a need for heat as there is for food staples. The smiles on peoples faces and the happiness it brings is worth every minute of effort it takes.

I donate wood every year to the local food bank. They distribute it to needy families, or I deliver it myself to some of the elderly people who could use it. Many are on fixed incomes and oil is expensive up here. I won't let anyone be cold if I can do something about it, and I have plenty of years worth of wood ahead. Good for the body and it just plain feels good to do it. Good for you to keep processing -- never stop.

Thank you for helping others! Peace be with you...

I have 2 years stacked up and also enough to finish out this winter and I'm still cutting. I never know where my next cut is coming from because I don't cut on my own property. I hope to bring in another 2 years worth before this winter is over if I'm lucky enough. I plan on building a big wood shed to move all of the seasoned wood into. Should make it last longer.

Coming from Valley Oak (Quercus lobata) country, that's some great wood! They're not that easy to get anymore, most have been cut to make way for farming or development. In my part of the valley, we only averaged about 13 in. of rain. No need to cover your stacks in a desert. As long as it's off the ground, it should keep a long time.

yes, that quercus lobata smells like a dream.Reminds me of an old whiskey barrel. I find myself smelling every piece I split and the grain is straight as hell.I have huge rounds that I just peel off the outsides with a Fiskars. I actually out split a guy who had a 30-ton splitter 2 truck loads to his 1 just with that axe.He was amazed and handed me a $100 bill.I thought he was giving it to me because I got the wood delivered to his land but he said "buy me 2 Fiskars with that money "

I am gradually getting more and more ahead, because I never know one day to the next if I will be able to cut again. and I ain't digging on being cold if I am crippled up with a back relapse or some such other catastrophe.

Here's something else to consider...

We are one planetary global pick a nation it doesn't matter psychopath decision away at all times from stuff like cheap petroleum products even being available, or if available, reedikalus expensive.

If you have the means and motivation and place to stack...ehh..why not. Use it yourself in the future, sell it, donate it, use it for barter. Processed wood is a fungible commodity, so...mo is mo bettah..

Latest posts

Back