How many years ahead should you be with firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, that quercus lobata smells like a dream.Reminds me of an old whiskey barrel. I find myself smelling every piece I split and the grain is straight as hell.I have huge rounds that I just peel off the outsides with a Fiskars. I actually out split a guy who had a 30-ton splitter 2 truck loads to his 1 just with that axe.He was amazed and handed me a $100 bill.I thought he was giving it to me because I got the wood delivered to his land but he said "buy me 2 Fiskars with that money "

That's a great story. Felt the same way when I was splitting clean straight red oak, right next to the big hydraulic splitter here. That thing finally broke, engine and control valve leaks and malfunctions, I am not interested in even trying to fix it right now, towed it up, sitting in the weeds next to my boss's house (his splitter, home made). For most of my wood, 90%+, I can go faster with less hassle/noise/expense over using that machine.

Now if I was still using just the big maul, I would make an effort to fix the hydraulic.

in California I might have to give up a cord of Oak for a glass of water if it don't rain soon.
Same up here in E Washington. We only get 16" a year and we are short 5" for the last three months of 2013. Only had one short rain in January. That ismoisture that is needed for crops next year. Wx report said it is the 2nd driest season ever and only missed the 1st place by a few hundreths.

At least I am out on the wood pile getting some cardio in every day.

Harry K

I like to keep at least 20 cord around to feel comfortable and burn 4 a year. as long as I can do it I try to replace what I am burning this year with Dbl so I continue to get further ahead. Those of you with 50-60+ cord have me jealous - I have some work to do!!

For the record - it you keep it off the ground and relatively dry wood doesn't rot. Top cover at best is all you need unless you live in a really wet environment. My wood has never been covered and shows no sign of rot. I move 4 cord per year into the basement in Sept/Oct so I don't need to drag wet, snow covered wood into the house all winter or even go out to visit the pile for that matter.

I stack on pallets because they are delivered for free.

I donate wood every year to the local food bank. They distribute it to needy families, or I deliver it myself to some of the elderly people who could use it. Many are on fixed incomes and oil is expensive up here. I won't let anyone be cold if I can do something about it, and I have plenty of years worth of wood ahead. Good for the body and it just plain feels good to do it. Good for you to keep processing -- never stop.
Well done. The world is better for people like you.

While I'm burning this years, next years is split and drying on the racks. The year after that is currently cut into rounds and sitting on pallets waiting to be split, which probably wont happen until March. I'm enjoying the fire indoors too much at the moment.

I try for at least two years ahead.currently have enough to finish this winter and next already s/s.
The stacks Im working on this winter will be for fall and winter of 15/16.

Thats about all i have room for in my sheds.

I like to keep a couple years ahead, this winter unfortunately I've burned a lot of wood in my OWB.
Just ordered 10 cords, they should be delivered next week.
This winter has been very cold in my area.

I cut dead red oak and keep it all dry in the shed so I keep about a half year to one year ahead. I cut my wife's aunt's wood too and keep her two years ahead, one in the shed and one outside under a tarp. I do all the wood in the summer.

I am starting to think if I can keep it dry the sky is the limit. One of these days I will be too old and frail to cut and haul and split anymore. But if I already have dry wood in a shed I can strap a bicycle basket to my walker and shuffle on out to the woodpile instead of moving into a nursing home.

Latest posts

Back