How much bar oil do you use.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of using ample bar oil, but also like to have at least a 1/8 to 1/4 tank of oil left when the fuel is gone. That way, I'm not risking running a dry bar & chain when environmental variables change things.

if you haven't seen heightened bar wear or excessive chain stretch I wouldn't worry too much.

we are lucky here that bar oil is relatively cheap, and as the others have said, there's relatively little disincentive to using lots of oil.

However if you know you're totally oiling to excess there's little reason not to dial it down in my book. If the max oiler setting is designed for a 28" bar and you're running an 18" bar, you better believe you're putting down way more oil than you need. When I am cutting far away from my supplies, this becomes relevant.

Great post!!! I am not exactly a tree hugger, but why spray oil everywhere when it is not needed. You are not saving the saw. The bar and chain need oil, but the max settings are for max bar in max wood. The whole purpose of cutting wood is to not depend on Arab oil. Why waste oil when it is overkill? These saws were engineered to oil properly with the middle setting on a mid sized bar. Don't second guess the engineers on this one. Just my 2C.

fordss-
My 026 (early production, first year), doesn't have an adjustable oiler and I run both 16" and 20" bars on it. Under normal cutting conditions using the 16" bar, a full tank of fuel won't empty the oil reservoir, but it will go dry before the second tank of fuel goes empty. If I bury the 20" bar in hardwood, the oil reservoir will be just about empty per tank of fuel, uses maybe 1.5 times as much.

Not all bar & chain oil is created equal. I once bought some bulk stuff out of a 55 gallon barrel that was way to thick; ended up thinning it to get it oiling properly.

My 260 with the oiler most the way open seems to work well. cut quite a bit of wood and there is onlya little paint missing on the bar. seems to keep it lubed and cool. As for oil menards has it on sale I buy a few gallons.

Latest posts

Back