How much is this saw worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe 290's are $329-$349 or so new. I watch the stihl stuff on ebay fairly closely and have been seing 029's/290's go for pretty good money lately. I would guess the saw is going to go somewheres between $175-$225. If you could get the saw for around $150 or so you'd be doing good.

Last edited:
For a weekend warrior, its a very good saw, the track record, despite what some will say here, is pretty good.

AS far as what its worth, I dont know, it depends on what you're willing to pay, and what its worth to you.

The guy's description doesn't look like he wants a local pick-up so I'd ask first. I've always liked 029s as firewood saws but I've never had a "super". I just got $200 for a nice 290 and $125 for a pretty old looking 029 if that gives you any ideas.

Comes with the original chain?

That description does not add up when looking at the pictures. Most all the paint is worn off of the bar and it appears WELL USED but probably not abused. If you are only needing it for firewood or tree trimming around your place then it may meet your needs nicely. Imho the ones selling on E-Bay for around $200 were in better cosmetic condition so I would probably keep it under $150...if it was the saw I wanted.

Here's something to think about...this time of year the new saws generally go on sale and the used prices go up. New is new. I have bought several used saws but always after I could put my paws on them and check them out. I've found some great deals at Pawn Shops and from folks who no longer have a need for a saw. I had to return one item bought on auction (it was a hassel until I finally got ahold of the owner...several cross country phone calls) and tried to return another but the seller disappeared off the earth.

If I were you, living so close, I would contact the seller and arrange to see and run it before bidding. If you are not very experienced with saws bring someone with you who is.

Weekend warrior

Weekend warrior is right. I have owned a few and I found that they have poor vibration control. I also found that they will run hot while idleing. They actually run cooler at full throttle. I highly recomend using this saw sparingly. I used a few as if they were profesional grade and after a few months they lost a significant amount of power. I have noticed this in more than one 029/290. In my opinion you would be better off with a 260 an 028 or even a 360. Good luck

Back