How Much Should it Cost to Sweep a Chimney?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njtuna

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
new to the fireplace thing, and want to be safe. was curious as to how much it should cost to have our chimney swept. we are in northern nj.

NJtuna

This is something you can do your self. May be just me, but if given the chance, I would rather not ever farm something out, under the if you want a job done right, rule!

Either buy the sweeper and extensions , or just a bunched up chain will do a nice job, just jig it like a fish lure and make sure you spent some time at every portion of the chimney. Stove pipes can be dismantled and cleaned outside. It is also a good time to check everything over for any sign of problems.

Depending on the set-up, it is easy to see how bad they are, but the bottom line is burn well seasoned wood in an efficient fireplace and they don't get as bad as most think.

By all means check it and be better safe then sorry........ but some hardly need much attention.

I have done the chain thing works as good as any.
Now I use owf and just load with dry hickory every
other load and burn it off but do not have to worry
about chimney fire.

it's not really something i'd like to do myself...unless i get quoted a crazy price. i like to do things myself, but would rather someone else do this

There was a blip of a commercial on the boob-tube were this guy had a pulley setup for his kid. You have kids? I thought that idea would have worked,,,just glad my dad never saw that commercial when I was a kid!

Little side bar, I have started a chimney fire as a kid about maybe 8 or so,,,, folks away and my first chance at responsibility, and I dropped the ball. Flames coming out of the top of a 3 story chimney! That was when my dad did start the yearly chain thing, never another fire.

$4 to $5 per 5 foot section of fiberglass rod. Adaptor and brush and your all set for under $40.00. I don't care for heights myself, but I don't care to pay a chimney sweep.

The previous owners of my house left a chimnet sweep brush in the attic. I should bust it out and climb up on the roof!

I pay about $200/year. Now I know some will tell me I am paying too much. However, I have no interest in climbing up on my roof and doing it myself. I would rather use the time cutting and splitting more firewood! The sweep is reputable (sweeps the chimneys at the White House, if that means anything!) and I view it as relatively cheap insurance and a timesaver for me. I also spray a chemical on the fire a couple times of month. Combine with hot fires it has cut down on the creosote buildup substantially.

There are some local "inventors" around here who came up with a way to clean the chimney(masonry) that kept the person who cleans the chimney on the ground!

It was called the "Ryden Rocket". There was a weight and rope attached to the wire cleaning brush that you released into the chimney from the top. You then pulled the brush down via the rope using the cleanout. Once down, you cranked the brush back up the chimney. Repeat as necessary.

The brush was stored in an apparatus that looked like a rocket that attached to the top of the chimney. It saw about 3 feet above the top of the chimney. Not quite sure where the rope that had the weight on it got stored, but my uncle had one and he swore by it. I think he said it only cost about $100(20 years ago).

Slightly off topic, I admit. But, it sure would be nice to clean a chimney without climbing the roof. It is especially useful for those chimneys that are hard to reach. I think the Ryden's stopped making them. Too bad!

There are some local "inventors" around here who came up with a way to clean the chimney(masonry) that kept the person who cleans the chimney on the ground!

It was called the "Ryden Rocket". There was a weight and rope attached to the wire cleaning brush that you released into the chimney from the top. You then pulled the brush down via the rope using the cleanout. Once down, you cranked the brush back up the chimney. Repeat as necessary.

The brush was stored in an apparatus that looked like a rocket that attached to the top of the chimney. It saw about 3 feet above the top of the chimney. Not quite sure where the rope that had the weight on it got stored, but my uncle had one and he swore by it. I think he said it only cost about $100(20 years ago).

Slightly off topic, I admit. But, it sure would be nice to clean a chimney without climbing the roof. It is especially useful for those chimneys that are hard to reach. I think the Ryden's stopped making them. Too bad!

How did you get the apparatus into the chimney in the first place if you don't have to climb up there?

How did you get the apparatus into the chimney in the first place if you don't have to climb up there?

Installation does require a one time trip up there. Like I said, he bought it years ago. I live too far away to take a picture, but it does look like a rocket above the chimney. I wish I had seen how the drop rope is stored. Maybe it is a steel cable and it just stays in the chimney? Seems to me that you could sweep the chimney anytime you wanted to with this system, so buildup on the cable wouldn't be an issue.

The next time I go to my Uncles place, I will try to take a picture of it and ask him the details. According to my uncle, they were quite popular in the 70's and 80's.

Installation does require a one time trip up there. Like I said, he bought it years ago. I live too far away to take a picture, but it does look like a rocket above the chimney. I wish I had seen how the drop rope is stored. Maybe it is a steel cable and it just stays in the chimney? Seems to me that you could sweep the chimney anytime you wanted to with this system, so buildup on the cable wouldn't be an issue.

The next time I go to my Uncles place, I will try to take a picture of it and ask him the details. According to my uncle, they were quite popular in the 70's and 80's.

Oh, I see. Would this system work if you have a chimney cap?

Do you mean a cap that keeps rain/downdrafts out? My uncles keeps the rain out. It sits about 3 feet above the chimney opening.

One like this. It's pretty close to what I have.

media.nl

I see what you mean. It must keep birds out as well. The one my uncle has is for a single 8" flue, but I would bet that they made other styles.

The guys that invented this are pretty smart. In fact, rumor has it that they invented the first self-propelled swather, but didn't patent it, so someone else saw the design and made it their own.

I made it even easier to clean my chimney for the woodstove, it is extended into the basement. Now I just have to pull off the clean out cap on the bottom and sweep from the bottom up. Only draw back is you can get pretty dirty from the creosote falling but it beats getting on the roof of a 2 story colonial any day.

I have a flexible poly rod and brush that I can insert right through the ash door. The rod comes in 3 foot lengths. I connect 10 together (30 feet) that allow me to clean my chimney from the ground every time. When the brush pops out and hits the chimney cap you know you are at the top. Takes about 10 -15 minutes and I'm done.

I saw two chimney sweeps I hired do the same thing which is where I got the idea. Some chimneys may not be configured correctly to do it. Luckily mine is. At $120 a cleaning it does not take long for the brush and rod to pay for themselves.

Latest posts

Back