How much trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDEEMED

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want to haul a few 50' logs about 10-15 miles. If I can borrow a gooseneck trailer how long will it have to be to haul logs that long without the tops dragging the ground? 30',40'? Also, will it be feasable to load them with a tractor front-end loader by setting the butt end of the log on the trailer and pulling it on the trailer with a come-a-long? Thanks for your advice.

The logs are southern yellow pine.

hauling

You need to give more information about the size of the logs. What's the diameter at each end? So we can figure out the weight. A 30' trailer gives you a 20' overhang which is too much hanging out the back. An easier way to load is to bring the logs alongside the trailer, hook chains to the side of the trailer, go under the log and back over the log, across the trailer and hook to your to your machine on the other side of the trailer. As you drive away the chain rolls the log up onto the trailer if you use short ramps. That's if your trailer is a lowboy. Don't forget to put a block or chalk on the trailer to stop the log from rolling off once you get it up on the trailer. You need to know the weight so you don't over load the trailer and blow a tire. Saying the logs are 50' doesn't give us any idea of the weight of the logs. What's the diameter at each end? Are you going to get a permit to haul an oversize load? (length) or is this a rural area and you're just going to risk it?

This is an estimate, but I would say the butt ends are around 18-20" and the top end around 8-10". I'll be in a rural area, I won't have to travel any Interstate or state hwys or thru any city limits.

At 20" large end and 10" at small end your looking at 3,200-3600 lbs per log at 50' length. It may be heavier or lighter depending on moisture content. Go heavy if these are green logs. Without the tops touching the ground tells me you're loading the butt end toward the truck? Next question is: Have you driven the route to see if that truck and trailer can make all the turns in the road? You may want a lead vehicle to warn on coming traffic because the truck has to go wide on every tight turn in the road at that length. I'd hate to tell you how to do this and have you get pinched by the police for an oversize load when a permit for an oversized load may only cost a few bucks. My suggestion would be to get one of your trucking buddies to help you and rent a lowboy trailer for the day. He would know about the permits, have a truck big enough to haul the load and know how to tie the load down so it doesn't come off the trailer till you want it to.

Ok, thank you very much for the advice. I do need to re-check my route for the sharp turns.

An idea

We used to haul 50 ft,"blackjack"[creosoted southern yellow pine] poles on a wagon running gear.We used a 20 ft section of 2 inch pipe to tie the sections together,and loaded them butt forward,and drove slow.2 poles at a time.The small ends would clear the road by about 8 inchs.On a 50 footer,you have to load as far forward over the tongue as possible,a 40 is no problem at all.

Back