how much wood do you use per day?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm burning all day and night upper 20's during the day teens at night.
I've been using about 15-18 medium splits for 24 hours. I have a insert,it has been heating the whole house nicely. How much do you use?
Also do you load it up, or just add a log or 2 when needed?

Just started getting cold here, so use is erratic. But I load for X amount of time never a split or two.

10-18 medium splits and I
put some one piece all-nighters on before bed. Also have an insert that heats the whole place great.

I don't know how many splits but it would be a couple of wheelbarrows a day into my iwb.

I usually load about halfway when home and only load it full before bed or when gone for the day.

~12 med to large(ish) splits in the wood furnace, or about the same # of small splits if running the stove...but to be honest wood usage has been all over the board this winter so far...goofy weather!

Working the numbers backwords, in the dead of winter, say for two months, we burn 2 cords of pine a month. At 330 24" pieces per cord we are looking at 22 pieces per day. I load the wood boiler in the AM and my wife loads it at night. 3000 sq ft and hot water. We had a ton of spray foam put in the house last winter so we are hoping to drop from 8 cords a year to under 7 cords

Temps right now for me are mid20's over night, and low to mid-30's in the day. I burn in a boiler and am adding 8 - 9 good sized splits twice a day, with a few smaller branch pieces to fill in the empty spots.

Wood stove in basement our only heat, late 70's era Mt Appalachian. Maybe not the most efficient, but will handle burning hedge. Burning black locust now, 3/4 to 1 w/b load every 24 hours. Teens at night, 30's during the day.

we use about 15 or so per day for our drafty mill house. Added r 30 to the cieling to get our r value up to 45 or higher, and so far its helped alot.

Small wood stove. ABout 1 WB per day in this cold stuff. Mine only takes about 5-6 pieces per load and that can last 8-9 hours. Heats whole house.

Just started to get normal winter what is cold for here. Today so far, two 5 gal buckets of small branch wood this morning and around 1/2 wheelbarrow of mostly poplar during the day, and I just threw one piece of hickory in. I still have around two weeks worth of last winters wood left, haven't started on my scheduled this winter's stack yet. And this upcoming stack has a lot more denser hardwood in it, quite a bit of oak hickory and elm.

The wood bin in the house is about 20"x24"x24" and that will last 2-3 days. At the shop we use 4-5 wheelbarrow loads a day. Filling the stove for the night is easily 2 wheelbarrow loads.

I don't really keep close track since there's plenty of wood available, not like I'm going to run out anytime soon haha!

The wood bin in the house is about 20"x24"x24" and that will last 2-3 days. At the shop we use 4-5 wheelbarrow loads a day. Filling the stove for the night is easily 2 wheelbarrow loads.

I don't really keep close track since there's plenty of wood available, not like I'm going to run out anytime soon haha!

Always find it intriguing that those of us in more northern climates actually burn less wood then those in the south.

Y'all eve heard of insulation and toques?

Yeah my house is insulated fairly well.
R60 in the attic, R21 in the walls. This summer I plan to pull off the siding and put in new windows and some 1/2" RBoard to "decouple" the studs, which will help too.

The shop.. not so much. Also heating in the neighborhood of 6000 sqft, some of that with 20ft ceiling too.

Always find it intriguing that those of us in more northern climates actually burn less wood then those in the south.

with my old Buck 27000 I used a Heaping w/b full per day. Now with the New Buck 91 I use about 1/2 that... Wood Is the Only heat I have :)

Any chance I could get you to post a pic of your 91? My house had a Buck installed as an insert when I bought it and I believe that's what it is. Unfortunately, the way it was installed has prevented me from being able to see the mfg badge and I can't tell for sure what model it is from their website. My blower is starting to run out of useful life and I need to get some replacement parts; would love to confirm the model I have before trying to order something.

And to stay on topic - I burn about 15 splits roughly 5" x 5" per day, two stoves full. One right when I get home from work and one right before bed.

My house was built in '58 and didn't have an ounce of insulation when we bought it. Since then we've insulated the attic really well, but the walls are a challenge. The exterior has concrete/asbestos shingles, and the interior is plaster covered slat walls. The spray insulation guy that I talked to needs to drill holes in order to spray, and both options (inside and outside) have their own set of issues that I'm not yet willing to deal with financially at the moment. Ultimately, I'd like to remove the asbestos shingles, drill and insulate, and then replace with vinyl siding, but my state won't allow me to remove the asbestos without paying a certified contractor. If I could do it myself, I'd save a boat load of money.

Dead standing hardwood is in plentiful supply. It's 21F outside, and 74F in here right now, so I just burn what I need to burn to stay warm.......with my hat on of course.

Latest posts

Back