how much wood do you use per day?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always find it intriguing that those of us in more northern climates actually burn less wood then those in the south.

Y'all eve heard of insulation and toques?

How often does the wind blow 30 mph up there? 20 mph winds are common here. If the wind isn't blowing and it's 0 out I have no trouble heating the house, but if its 10 deg and we have a 30 mph north wind it requires a much higher heating load.

I'm not burning nearly as much wood as some are posting in here. In an average winter I will burn a full cord every 3 weeks, this year it's been more like 5 weeks. I typically go through 12-16 splits per day, more like 20-24 if it's single digits and the wind is blowing. I'm heating about 3600 sq ft home built in the mid 90's with a older wood stove.

Apx minimum 4.5cf per 24 hours- mixed hardwoods. based on a 3 cf stove filled twice per day . got to leave room at the top for secondaries and as the splits are not perfectly square there are the gaps to account for a well. So over all it will still be a 5 cord season even with the warmer than usual temps of Nov., Dec. Just used more of the lesser density material instead of the "Good Stuff". Course that means I have had to empty ashes more often also. So in that area I am ahead by about 1o gallons volume wise over more traditional temps of years past.

So far on my wood furnace I'll put 6 good size splits in each load , half full 5 cubic foot firebox and I get around 12 hours burn so I'll run two loads in a 24 hour day so I'd say a dozen or so splits .. Less than a large wheelbarrow in a days time

Heat 1800 square feet with a Woodmaster 3300, prior to that had a Woodmaster 434 (sold to neighbor) and use between 16-22 face cord per year. Burnt 6.5 face cord this year so far. Last year was a 21 face cord winter.

Heat 1800 square feet with a Woodmaster 3300, prior to that had a Woodmaster 434 (sold to neighbor) and use between 16-22 face cord per year. Burnt 6.5 face cord this year so far. Last year was a 21 face cord winter.
Wow . You must love to cut wood !21 face cords seems like an incredible amount of wood to heat only 1800 sq ft

Wow . You must love to cut wood !21 face cords seems like an incredible amount of wood to heat only 1800 sq ft
Last year was cold, many negative temps around -20 and a record fell -35. Burnt that much with an indoor furnace add-on, for the last 13 years mess has been kept outside. But, yes cutting firewood is not bad. Never had an LP, oil or natural gas bill in my life, but I am only 62.

When Im home, about 1 split every 30 to 45 minutes. When I leave or sleep I pack it full, which is about 6 pieces. That will keep the house warm for about 3 hours. By 4 hours the oil burner is kicking in. Im running on maple and cherry right now. Some oak will be mixed in there once it gets colder.
I have an old Vigilant, medium size house, with good insulation.

This is a two wheelbarrow compound from around November through March/April; firing an OWB, twelfth season; one load in the morning before work, and one before retiring for the evening; heating a 2000 sq. ft. ranch w/in floor heat in lower level, heating domestic hot water for family of five, and heating a 24x36 ft shop. With the way the winter has been going, I've been able to save the good hardwood for January/February and so far have been getting by with burning a mix of pine, popple, ash, hemlock but do mix in some ironwood/hard maple/oak overnight when it gets below 25F or so. Put the K1500 in the shop last Friday night for some routine maintenance scheduled for Saturday (oil change, lube chassis, rotate skins, check brake pads/shoes, etc.)......was 15F outside and 68F in the shop. As long as I can continue to swing a maul (and operate the valve on the splitter), and keep the saw chains sharp, I'll never go back to propane.

I use about 2 wheelbarrows of wood per day. All of my wood is split rather small and only 12 inches in length. I have a small insert.

Just passed the one cord mark of mostly uglies and lesser btu types. Going to get real nippy by Sunday night so will have to break into the good stuff. Also find out how effective the 1" thick baffle boards in the NC 30 work with temps in the single digits and negative areas.

I don't know how many splits but it would be a couple of wheelbarrows a day into my iwb.

I usually load about halfway when home and only load it full before bed or when gone for the day.

Yep, I finally quit arguing with the 3/4 stick a day crowd.

I'll burn one cart per day around now when it's 10-20F in the evenings and 30-40F in the day. Anything below 10F and the stove can't keep the house at 65F and the oil furnace kicks in. Some really cold days on the weekend when I'm home all day I can get 1.5 cart loads through the stove.wood cart.JPG

How often does the wind blow 30 mph up there? 20 mph winds are common here. If the wind isn't blowing and it's 0 out I have no trouble heating the house, but if its 10 deg and we have a 30 mph north wind it requires a much higher heating load.

I'm not burning nearly as much wood as some are posting in here. In an average winter I will burn a full cord every 3 weeks, this year it's been more like 5 weeks. I typically go through 12-16 splits per day, more like 20-24 if it's single digits and the wind is blowing. I'm heating about 3600 sq ft home built in the mid 90's with a older wood stove.
Winds are more common here in the 20mph range but have little to no effect with the heating of the house, for shrubbery and topography limit the effect where the house is.

3600 sq ft??? geesh your spouse that bad?

Last year the consistent temperature in my yard was -20 to -30F every single day for 4 months, my heating season began in September and ended the following May.
In that time I burnt 5 full cord, not once did I wake up with my face frozen to the wall!

Latest posts

Back