how much wood do you use per day?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burning about 1 wheel barrow full/day of Maple/Alder/Birch/Doug Fir when temp hovering just below freezing.

Large Central Brick Chimney has great thermal mass heat storage - 2 story 2500 sq ft. - toasty warm throughout - gas hydronic boiler off.

We have some cold weather headed our way, low around 0 high 15 I'm gonna break out the ironwood. I haven't turned on my electric heat yet, and hope I don't need to. I've burned a few smaller pieces of ironwood and couldn't believe how much hotter it burned. I mean I know it's heavier, but what causes it to burn so much hotter. Way hotter than hickory. I'm almost afraid to put some of the bigger pieces I have in the stove.

We have some cold weather headed our way, low around 0 high 15 I'm gonna break out the ironwood. I haven't turned on my electric heat yet, and hope I don't need to. I've burned a few smaller pieces of ironwood and couldn't believe how much hotter it burned. I mean I know it's heavier, but what causes it to burn so much hotter. Way hotter than hickory. I'm almost afraid to put some of the bigger pieces I have in the stove.

Hedge is the same way. I've burned oak, shaggy bark, locust but none of them are even close.

its funny this year....ive only opened the heat dampener up once,,because handbrake opened the flippin windows!!!! otherwise,,about 4, 4 inch round splits during the day.. I aint even burnt up all my uglies and odds yet!!! I like it!! and this aint no elitist stove..........

hole
My house was built in '58 and didn't have an ounce of insulation when we bought it. Since then we've insulated the attic really well, but the walls are a challenge. The exterior has concrete/asbestos shingles, and the interior is plaster covered slat walls. The spray insulation guy that I talked to needs to drill holes in order to spray, and both options (inside and outside) have their own set of issues that I'm not yet willing to deal with financially at the moment. Ultimately, I'd like to remove the asbestos shingles, drill and insulate, and then replace with vinyl siding, but my state won't allow me to remove the asbestos without paying a certified contractor. If I could do it myself, I'd save a boat load of money.

Dead standing hardwood is in plentiful supply. It's 21F outside, and 74F in here right now, so I just burn what I need to burn to stay warm.......with my hat on of course.
holes on the inside would do right.......top and bottom of walls.. the dig the excess foam out,,to just below the lathe, and fill back in with drywall compound, sand and level...ive moved the all the light switches in house,, down lower, because they used to be eyeball height!!! :dizzy::dizzy: I then took small pieces of old paneling, just a bit bigger than the old hole, put a drywall screw thru the center, held it in hole,,and filled edges with compound. day later, filled hole closer to center. another day,,and screw came out,,and totally filled. nother day,,and sanded level. paint..done..:D:D also..put vapor barrier OVER the asbestos, then vinyl it...youll have to dry holes JUST thru the asbestos to vinyl,,but so what??.:D flippin gov types....

I should know in a week. I just filled up the wood racks at the house and will be keeping track. Temps are supposed to be in the upper teens for highs with 20+ mph winds for the next 3-4 days. 2 year seasoned White/Red Oak, and Sugar Maple. Seasoned outside on pallets, sides open but covered top.

It isn't all that cold in West Bend , Wis to burn that much wood, but when ya get up west of Keawskum a ways and into the Town Of Wayne, then ya put in a few more sticks in da fire. I burn about 100 to 125 pounds of wood per day. I used to burn more but since I got staple up lex in the basement I use about 10 % less wood, so maybe 100 lbs or 20 logs about 16" long and about 4x4

It isn't all that cold in West Bend , Wis to burn that much wood, but when ya get up west of Keawskum a ways and into the Town Of Wayne, then ya put in a few more sticks in da fire. I burn about 100 to 125 pounds of wood per day. I used to burn more but since I got staple up lex in the basement I use about 10 % less wood, so maybe 100 lbs or 20 logs about 16" long and about 4x4

I'm not trying to be a wisea$$ here, but how do you know the weight of the wood you burn each day. I only ask because I was wondering that myself. I was guessing my firewood cart held 200+ lbs, but maybe I'm over estimating by double, maybe I'm burning about 100 pounds a day here in MA.

I burn 10-15 splits per 24 hours, just depends on the weather and wood. I use both banking and feeding to get through. I bank right before I leave in the morning and damper down. This heats all day and leaves hot coals and a warm house when I get home in the evening. Then I just feed a stick or two until I'm ready for bed when I bank and damper down again. This leaves a little left when I wake in the morning. I usually throw a couple small splits on and let a pretty hot fire burn while I'm getting ready in the mornings. When it's time to leave I repeat the cycle all over again.

My house was built in '58 and didn't have an ounce of insulation when we bought it. Since then we've insulated the attic really well, but the walls are a challenge. The exterior has concrete/asbestos shingles, and the interior is plaster covered slat walls. The spray insulation guy that I talked to needs to drill holes in order to spray, and both options (inside and outside) have their own set of issues that I'm not yet willing to deal with financially at the moment. Ultimately, I'd like to remove the asbestos shingles, drill and insulate, and then replace with vinyl siding, but my state won't allow me to remove the asbestos without paying a certified contractor. If I could do it myself, I'd save a boat load of money.

Dead standing hardwood is in plentiful supply. It's 21F outside, and 74F in here right now, so I just burn what I need to burn to stay warm.......with my hat on of course.

If you read the very last part of the A s b e s t o s Regulations you might find the part that says you can remove it yourself if you are the homeowner and not for hire etc.. It has been a while ago but Nebraska waits until the very very end to give homeowners consent,, It Is BS but do they want contractors to take your money ?? Strange way to write the regulations...

I put the logs in a burlap bag and weigh it with my 60 lb fish scale. On a warmer day I put in a few less logs but on a cold day I weighed about 135 lbs consistently. 135 lbs @ 6,000 but is 810,000 BTU per day , or 33,750 BTU per hr. Makes sense if you figure my EKO gasser is 80% efficient after it gets to the house. My house is 2,200 sq. ft with 9' walls. It is insulated extremely well and has a lot of windows. This is for a cold day though, like -10 F for a low and many 10 F for a high.

It might be a degree colder by you. My sister lives in the town of Wayne ,

Well, since how many splits and what the wood weighs doesn't tell me much in the way of how much is burned (I'd rather see the amount listed as cubic feet so that could be converted to cords) I kept track of how much I've burned over the past 7 days. 24 cubic feet of wood, mostly Oak and Sugar Maple with a wee bit of black locust thrown in the mix. That comes out to 3.4 cubic feet of wood per day. Seasoned 1 to 2 years. There IS a HUGE difference in the amount of heat that is generated from 2 year old seasoned wood vs. 1 year old seasoned wood. There's a pretty big difference in weight between them too. I had planned on burning all 2 year old seasoned wood, but I grabbed some from the wrong stack....

In the past week we have had days where the temp hasn't gotten much above 15 degrees F for a high, and others have been in the low 40's.

I kept track of how much I've burned over the past 7 days. 24 cubic feet of wood, There IS a HUGE difference in the amount of heat that is generated from 2 year old seasoned wood vs. 1 year old seasoned wood. There's a pretty big difference in weight between them too. I had planned on burning all 2 year old seasoned wood, but I grabbed some from the wrong stack....

>I've burned over the past 7 days. 24 cubic feet of wood,

that is easy to visualize. just over 2 1/2 loads out of my 10 cu ft (dual wheels) wheel barrel. do you get more heat from the 2-yr old wood? I recently burned some 20-yr old wood, very dry, under roof. and kept dry. burned great! it was in a fireplace. and I needed some heat to help some wetter wood 'git it on down the road!'... did the job nicely. :)

if the wind aint blowing,,and it aint below zero,, very little..about 4, 5 inch round splits during the day,,and a few more at night...1664 sq ft.. 1903 house,,with quite a few improvements,,but needs more...............riteway 37,,which aint a tree trimmers elitist stove.........

>I've burned over the past 7 days. 24 cubic feet of wood,

that is easy to visualize. just over 2 1/2 loads out of my 10 cu ft (dual wheels) wheel barrel. do you get more heat from the 2-yr old wood? I recently burned some 20-yr old wood, very dry, under roof. and kept dry. burned great! it was in a fireplace. and I needed some heat to help some wetter wood 'git it on down the road!'... did the job nicely. :)

Yes, it burned a lot hotter. How much? All I can tell you is that if I loaded up the insert with it, and left the primary damper open 100% of the way, the chimney would be glowing red (it is placed inside the existing 8"x10" clay liner) . I have to close the damper to about 70% open to keep that from happening. The 1 year old wood I have to have the primary damper open 100% and crack the secondary damper to get it to completely burn - and that is still without turning the chimney red. If I don't crack the secondary damper, I wind up with enough charcoal in the insert that I can only put 1 split in at a time. And the house temp drops doing that. It's amazing to me the amount of BTU's it takes to turn water to steam.

I haven't thought about how much wood we use each day, but I know that we use 20-30 pallets each year depending on how cold it gets.

Back