how much wood so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanko

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I live in Southern Mich. I have burnt a tad over 1 full cord so far this year. Charmaster, 1600 sq ft newer ranch. Sounds like too much. I have a 1000 sq ft well insulated two story shop with a dutch west free standing stove and I'm just finnishing up my first face cord.

I am not really sure..

As I have added wood to the using end of my stack a time or two.. Plus I had two big loader buckets full of hickory and ash cookies from the GTG I have probably burned close to a cord..
I am a cold natured guy.. I like the house warm, no I like it sweltery.. to hear my wife tell it.. She is approaching midlife.. so she has the hot flashes.. she will open a window most nights..
That is ok.. I have plenty of wood to cuthttp://arboristsite.com/images/smilies/greenchainsaw.gif
:greenchainsaw:

As I have added wood to the using end of my stack a time or two.. Plus I had two big loader buckets full of hickory and ash cookies from the GTG I have probably burned close to a cord..
I am a cold natured guy.. I like the house warm, no I like it sweltery.. to hear my wife tell it.. She is approaching midlife.. so she has the hot flashes.. she will open a window most nights..
That is ok.. I have plenty of wood to cuthttp://arboristsite.com/images/smilies/greenchainsaw.gif
:greenchainsaw:

I have gone through maybe half a cord so far. Would be more but we been gone some. I agree, I will just go cut more if we need it for the winter. We have about 3 cords ready to burn, and Im splitting up the 1st cord for next year today.:cheers:

I have gone though about a half a cord heating 1300 sq ft + basement with a old 70's greenbriar stove. It has been very mild hear, I useally use about 3-4 cords for the winter mostly oak,cherry,black locust, and dead elm.

I probably have 10-12 cords cut and split.

I cut my wood between 18-22 inches if it needs split..
Since building the woodboiler this fall. I will be cutting limb wood to 36-44 inches..Sure is easier to pick up one piece over two-three little pieces.
The boys brought me a load of limb wood home last weekend.4x8 trailer was mounded high with wood.
Last night was the first cold night we have had in a while. I loaded the magic box at about 8 pm.Pretty full with large chunks of ash.(leftovers from the GTG the huge butt log that Al quartered up for me).I chose to split it extra large I woke up at 6 am and saw the light was on.(light tells me that the blower is running=water temp calling for heat)
I noticed it stayed on for a long time.. I figured oh well it is out of wood..But I got dressed and went out and I still had half a load in it.. So I tossed in a few chunks and came back inside.will be good til tonight now.

Almost a half cord now burning a Woodstock Fireview, heating 1800 sq ft including basement. Mostly burning Oak and some soft Maple. Just started 24/7 burning about a week and a half ago.

I have burned almost a cord here in WV. I have been burning for almost a month and a half now (OWB). I too have added to my wood pile a few times and don't want to let my supply go below half. I have two different piles: the first pile is smaller pieces of mixed oak, poplar, cherry, birch and box elder, the second pile is bigger and longer pieces that I am saving for when it gets really cold.

Burn Baby Burn

Tuesday it was 75 degrees here. Wednesday we had a high of 34 with 30mph winds and this morning when I woke up it was 19 degrees. I heat 2700 sq ft, 45 + windows, single pane on half of them, in a 107 year old Victorian house. I burned half a rik in 2 1/2 days. Kept the house 75 degrees. I will burn 15 rik Nov - Feb. My wife is cold blooded and we have a 4 month old baby so I try and keep the house warm.

1 1/2 to 2 face cords of wood already....
in Northen Michigan.....
its gonna be a cold winter i think
almost the low single digets last night well under 10 degress F.
Got the timber crew at my property cutting maple
leaving a huge pile of wood for fire wood......so
BRING IT ON

Ive come to the conclusion that not having a basement and pumping heat down hill is not the most efficient way to heat with wood. having your wood furnace in the basement is the way to go, the gravity thing works and the floors are warmer. Ohwell ILL have to live with it.

I would say I have used slightly less than a face cord so far this burning season. I haven't had to use my stove 24/7 until two days ago and had quite a few days in November where there was no need for heat at all.

About a face cord and a half, no furnace yet our goal is Jan 1 before we burn any oil. this part of PA has pretty mild winter should be able to do it fairly easily.

I guess approx. a cord (small dent in very big pile) burning junk wood still, popler, sassafras, cottonwood. Cold last night might have to start throwing in some ash, oak and maple. 3,000sq ft heated w/ woodmaster OWB. Definately set for all winter but just can't stop cutting since temps have been so mild. Working on next years supply now.
Cut majority of the wood from neighbors 15 acre woods, she complimented me on how nice I had made her woods look, just by cleaning up all the dead and down wood that was there.
My family gets warm, and I make the neighbor happy...

2,000 sq.ft. ranch......i've used about 3/4 cord.

Same here.
Keeping it at 75 during the day and about 72 at night.
been burning mostly oak and elm.
This week I started going through some boxelder that I picked up this summer. I haven't burned it before, and was curious to see how well it burns.
It is pretty well seasoned already, and turns out to be a decent firewood.
15 degrees overnight.

:rockn: wood heat :cheers:

I've burnt a tad under 3/4 cord this year. 2400 square foot victorian plus the basement. I have 5.5 cords right beside the house ready for this year. Hopefully I will use about 4.5 cords this year.

About 2 face cords (1,6 cubic meters). For a house of 1800 sq feet, 2 levels.
Cut this year about 80 cubic meters up to now, so plenty of fuel left.

i felt like i was burning alot of wood, but i have a fireplace. it has a heavy steel box inside, and a brick facade outside. there are two vents on each side that emit tons of hot air.

i also have a heatilator inside that the logs sit on and it vents under the glass doors. the fan to this does blow alot of hot air out the front. my only issue is with the glass doors. they are the bi-fold type and allow too much air in and my fires are always hot. another negative is that the damper handle is on the inside (what were they thinking?) so, it's always open and i use the vents on the glass doors to adjust air.

i did find a web site that sells (supposedly) air tight glass doors and i've been looking at their selection. the doors seal when closed and there is a gasket around the frame to seal that.

if these are really air tight, they may just be the answer to finish the fireplace and make it more efficient.

Now we know what causes global warming

Tuesday it was 75 degrees here. Wednesday we had a high of 34 with 30mph winds and this morning when I woke up it was 19 degrees. I heat 2700 sq ft, 45 + windows, single pane on half of them, in a 107 year old Victorian house. I burned half a rik in 2 1/2 days. Kept the house 75 degrees. I will burn 15 rik Nov - Feb. My wife is cold blooded and we have a 4 month old baby so I try and keep the house warm.

45 plus windows Mercy sakes..You are going to have to either get a more efficient wood stove.. Or better yet some new windows.
But I guess as long as you can get the house up to desired temps and maintain a comfortable level. You will be fine..

Latest posts

Back