how much wood so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2/3 of a cord to date. Keep the house around 70 deg. F. Heating a little over 3K square feet including basement (where the woodburner is located).

Barely a face cord, but we didn't start the first fire until Nov.1., mainly just burning the junk from splittling, and rotted cleanup out in the woods and the last of some pallet cutoffs. As of the 15* this morning though, I think we will be burning in earnest now.
3,000sqft of 1850's, two story, well ventilated, uninsulated farmhouse, some original windows.

Not quite a cord. I am coming down to the end of the first rick (6'x13'x16") on the porch and I added to it once. Willow, small house and the wife likes it very warm. Fire been going 24/7 since late Sept.

I stock the porch with 3 of those ricks at beginning of season and then restock out of the woodshed as needed. Debating beginning to do that this week to replace what I have used already.

Harry K

I've burned right about a cord and a half. This is heating about a 2200 sq. ft. house completely, no additional heat source, plus all my hot water. I have a Royall indoor boiler. Been keeping the house between 74 and 80, but when it gets colder outside it will be easier to keep the house a little cooler.. say 70-72. I think the coldest I've had here so far is about 8 deg.

i felt like i was burning alot of wood, but i have a fireplace. it has a heavy steel box inside, and a brick facade outside. there are two vents on each side that emit tons of hot air.

i also have a heatilator inside that the logs sit on and it vents under the glass doors. the fan to this does blow alot of hot air out the front. my only issue is with the glass doors. they are the bi-fold type and allow too much air in and my fires are always hot. another negative is that the damper handle is on the inside (what were they thinking?) so, it's always open and i use the vents on the glass doors to adjust air.

i did find a web site that sells (supposedly) air tight glass doors and i've been looking at their selection. the doors seal when closed and there is a gasket around the frame to seal that.

if these are really air tight, they may just be the answer to finish the fireplace and make it more efficient.

I sent you a PM. I have Wlikening air tight doors and they aren't completely air tight, but give you more control, help increase efficiency, and keep out cold down drafts.

thanks. got it and replied.

Wilkening were the doors i've been looking at. they seem to be as air tight as glass doors can get.

I live in Southern Mich. I have burnt a tad over 1 full cord so far this year. Charmaster, 1600 sq ft newer ranch. Sounds like too much. I have a 1000 sq ft well insulated two story shop with a dutch west free standing stove and I'm just finnishing up my first face cord.

just finished up about a cord today got four more to go

just finished up about a cord today got four more to go

you gonna have enough? I know it gets pretty cold there. I started with 10 cord, im running two stoves one in the house and a vermont castings in the shop. I should be OK, I hope

Well,not too much.I just fired the thing up yesterday due to the fact it was about 5 above,I figured it was time.

I suppose I have about 8 or so cords split and stacked and another 10 or so laying in rounds.Whatever,there is plenty,good old northern Ohio hardwood.

As slow as I am it's doubtfull that I get the rest split this winter.Maybe so,maybe not but it doesn't eat anything and it isn't going any where.It's oak,it can lay on the ground quite a while before it degrades.

SHOPWOODSTOVE.jpg

1/2 cord so far this year , sometimes 3+ cords per year

I have six cords put up for this winter, but normally I'd still be burning poplar and then maple at this point in the season. With the temps in the teens, I've broken into the stack of red oak that I'd normally burn in January, Feb, and March.

So far, about one cord total.

How should I know I just bring it in every week and burn a little here and there I got a pile now getting close to the ten foot mark not to mention its been really warm here October through November :D.

1 1/2 to 2 face cords of wood already....
in Northen Michigan.....
its gonna be a cold winter i think
almost the low single digets last night well under 10 degress F.
Got the timber crew at my property cutting maple
leaving a huge pile of wood for fire wood......so
BRING IT ON

Howdy neighbor, been damn cold lately

Barely over a real full cord ( no "face" :dizzy: , no "rick":dizzy: ) burnt so far in two wood stoves--what do I care--we like hanging around nude and barefoot. :clap: It does not look like an AlGore winter Downest at least: near 2 feet on the ground, temps in the single F.
Gave away a cord to a neighbor down in Belfast also. Then again we're burning "soft" hardwoods now--red maple and paper birch--so you need more to burn than the better hardwoods such as oaks, hard maple, ashes, hickory. What a strange thing to have the better BTU hardwoods down in cracker country --like Massachusetts :mad: :confused:

Probably one cord here so far.. I add too the pile about 2 truckloads a week.....weather permitting that is.
Freestanding Earth Stove with blowers heating about 1600 feet of 60 year old house.
We burn a mix of red/white/and black oak and mix with sassafrass.
I like the black oak and sass. the best.....splits easily, very little ash left....great heat.
I try too leave everything unsplit up to 8" diameter as the round wood seems too burn forever.....once split, it seems too burn faster.....I'm sure the split may burn hotter but with this stove, sometimes we have the doors and windows open when its 30* outside and the snow is melted away from the house about 20' and the trees next too the house has green leaves on them......kinda nice picking fresh tomatoes next too the house in Jan., well....maybe it dont get THAT hot!!! hehehehhe.

Just under a cord of the split stuff. I'm into some red/white elm mix with a couple of single digit over nights. Burnt off half cord of maple and cottonwood late Oct/Nov.

Matt

Back