How much wood so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We heat exclusively with wood. We started burning every night in eaerly October and finished up the first cord late in December. Mostly 'shoulder wood'. I hadn't figured it was going to get as cold as it has here so I restacked 1/3 cord of Elm and Hackberry to get to the Mulberry in the stack. My best wood is all in a seperarte stack that is easy enough to get to for really bad weather. I have been using a little of this at night to be sure I have good coals in the morning.

Total burned so far is still less than 1 1/2 cords.

KS, I see a new term here. What's "shoulder wood"? I'm guessing that it's small diameter stuff that you can carry a length of on your shoulder. Am I right? I like coming across this 4" to 6" stuff as it's an easy way to walk it out of the woods.

About one of these each week since the first part of November or maybe even a bit sooner than that. (I can't really remember when it started getting cold).
Wood is just tossed in not stacked so your guess is as good as mine as to how much it is but I go through about a truckload every week.

ry%3D480

about 2 1/2 cord so far. Started burning early november part time, then went full time after getting use to system. Didn't deside to heat with wood until august. Got about 8 cord of blown over red oak and elm by october. Cut, split and stacked. Some of it is realy nice and dry, some isn't. Had to clean stove pipe weekly when air intake was closed down on the warmer days.

I'm heating a small cape cod with a "brock" hot air unit

2.5 cords so far. Nice mix of ash,oak, elm, and pine. about 4 left, I should have a good start for next year.

only used the furnace a couple times when we had comapny over christmas! Fortunately, most of the guests over the holiday season have helped me bring in about 2 cords of ash over the last two weeks!

Im happy with the woodstove for the most part so far this winter. I really have found its limits though, we've had a cold winter so far, and when that wind is blowing it sure takes a lot of wood to keep up!:dizzy:

Just finished off my small stack that had 3 cord in it. Started digging into the big stack this week. Those single digit days really shrink the wood pile. Come on spring!!! :jester:

Hard to tell i burn splitter chips and bark until about December.
Then all the (crap) that is not sell able in cord wood (rotted centers ect.)
conifer,cottonwood,ash, elm ,locust,maple,black walnut,red oak.
About 1.5 cords of real split wood.(been mild here in Colorado).

(The Chains just seem to move Faster on a Husky!)
Husky 362xp
Husky 272xp
Husky 41
Stihl 042
Poulan 3450
Mac super pro 81
3 Stihls that i wore out
(pistons and jugs) are all they need

This is our first winter using wood for heat in this house.
We have 1248 square feet, all on one level. Well insulated house.
With our old set up, we were using 500 gallons of propane for a year
to heat the house, and for our kitchen cook stove. Kept it at 68-70
in the winter. 18 years using propane with the same company.

September , we fired up the OWB. Had to experiment to see how
it would work, and it also heats our hot water. We had a wiring problem
and I think we may have burned a bit more wood, than we should have trying to fiqure out the problem. But all is well now.
Our electric usage is down. I think we may have used about 50 gallons of propane since last March. Propane furnace has not kicked on since the OWB was fired up. We intend to do some major changes come this March with the propane company. Hopefully we will buy our own much smaller tank. The goal was not to be held hostage by the propane company any longer than necessary.

My guesstimate is that we have used about 7 face cord so far, with the wood in a 16-18" length cut. We have plenty enough to finish this winter. We did buy the biggest share of it, but this year, the hubby will have to fiqure out more economical ways of getting the pile built back up for next season.
So yes , we did good with our decision to put in a CB5036 :)

The end of the house where the furnace is stays in the high 70's. The room farthest away stays at 70 with no register in that room yet. Very comfortable heat.

Last edited:
Closing in on two full cords of dry hardwood here in Vermont. Seems about normal to me for this time of year. Might be slightly ahead of average as we have had some unusually cold weather for this time of year but to close to call really. No complaints anyway. I'm two winters ahead in the wood department so feeling good about that part of life.

Maplemeister:

Latest posts

Back