How much wood so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wanted to see how much everyone has gone through. Here, about 2-3 chords in a country stove.

Only bout half a cord so far but only been burning bout 2 weeks :)
mostly seasoned ash with little not so seasoned maple and hackberry

Yeah, I have burnt in the 2-3 cord range. Got a homemade wood furnace in the basement that runs into an old terra cotta lined masonry chimney on the leeward wall.
This winter has been too mild. I got windows open and am wasting wood just to get a clean burn.
My house is small and tight - if I had a Jotul on the main floor with a straight flue I am sure I would only have burned one cord. But it sure is nice to walk out onto 85 degree hardwood floors in your bare feet.
But using what I got is a lot cheaper than buyin all that ****. No sense spending money on heat and stuff when there is beer to be bought.
:cheers:

Oh yeah its mostly ash I'm burning.

Last edited:
A little over 3 cords.
Mostly oak, half of it dead standing last summer, partially deteriorated sapwood.
Some elm and boxelder.

Been a cold winter in MN this year.

About 1.5 dry cords outside & 1/2 cord inside.

I should be able to make it.

Got some ash (cut green in the fall) that burns fine that I can use if I run out.
Or go cut a few dead ones in March, depending on the snow.

EDIT:
Keeping house at about 75 and gas furnace has been turned off since September. 2000 sq ft 1968 rambler original windows.

Last edited:
Lopi - Liberty

3500 sqft

6 cords of oak and maple so far. Got another 6 with a touch of cherry sittin in the shed.

Last year was a total of 9, this year I'm thinkin we might put a good run on all 12.

Owl

An Olix air flow woodstove. Three cords so far.
I started on just weekends in November, mostly steady since December with a one week shut down because of warm temps.
I have 2 more cords split and ready, so I'm good. I have about another 2 1/2 cords of wood to split before I get out to start cutting again.
I'm getting anxious to hit the woods for some sawing.

Kevin

So far , since November 1st , the kids and I have gone through almost 2 cords combined of Hackberry, Mulberry, Oak, Buckthorn and Hedge. Heating about 1200 sq ft with a Vogelzang 26 Deathbox. :dizzy: We have done pretty well with it as our exclusive source of heat and I expect the 2/3 cord we have for this year to hold out well till mid-March.

Heh, not sure where I heard the term for the Vogelzang but the first couple of weeks we had it, years ago, we had a few close calls with it overheating from not being able to shut off enough air and the ( then ) wife filling it with kindeling ..."to get it warm in here quicker." It sure got warm alright. The room thermometer pegged at over 110* with the doors and windows open on a 10* day. It didn't take me long the second time she did it to figure out how to close it off better to keep that from happening again.

About 6 or 7 cords so far. I've got to get a newer, more efficient stove as I'm not getting any younger & I scrounge for all my wood. Oy yeah, I'm using an old Russo smoke dragon in a 133 year old two story mansard. I've only turned on the oil burner three times when the temp went below 12. That was so the pipes in the basement wouldn't freeze.
Al

I've gone through probably 3 cords and about 3/4's of a ton of coal. I really can't judge how much wood I use because alot of my wood is burned off of a pile. Also, I've scrounged alot of dead wood this season that I have been burning as I get it. Plus I cut alot of small chunks, 10'' TO 16'' that can load into my stove tighter.

I have a a Shenendoah R-65 wood and coal burner.

5-6 right now...burning ash/oak/maple/sassafras and a little cherry all seasoned. Woodmaster 5500 heating 3700sq ft.

Just started on cord number 6, dry oak-maple-ash-beech. I have another 4 to 5 cord left to get me through april.
I have a 3000 square foot, nearly 200 year old mill-house and use [only] a FA-455 Dutchwest for heat.
Last year I only burned 7 to 8 cords, this year has been much colder!

3 1/2 cords to date. The forced air oil furnace has run 11 times so far this year.

Pacific Energy Summit

Pignut Hickory, White Oak, Red Oak, Chestnut Oak, Silver Maple, Red Maple, Sugar Maple, Beech, and one piece of dried Hemlock (just for kicks and giggles).

And some Cherry.

Last edited:
So far have gone through about 2 1/2 cord. It has been a pretty mild winter here in PA. Had to let it go cold the other day. It got up to 60 degrees.
Burn mostly red oak this year with a little locust mixed in.
Helped my brother put a stove in his basement a couple of weeks ago. He's lovin it so far as he normally heats with propane. Now we'll have to be gathering wood for 2 homes.

Latest posts

Back