How much wood so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've burned about three cords so far in my insert. The wood was a mix of ash, cherry, maple, and white oak for the overnight burns. The only time the furnace was on all winter was when we went on vacation in early January. The gas bill went up about $10 dollars for every day that we were gone.

Ive gone through about 5 cord since the end of november heating 4000 sqft. Being the first year, I know Im gonna run out and have to start digging into what I thought would be good for next year. The good thing is Im about 1/2-3/4 cord ahead of where I thought I would be and Im not paying for LP. I was planning on cutting wood throughout the winter but I cant get my tractor in the woods with all the freakin snow.

I'm on cord #12. The OWB got lit the first week of October. I'm heating roughly 6000sq. My usage is somewhat higher this year since I've blown thru my seasoned wood, and have been buring alot of green:deadhorse:

I have burned about 4 1/2 cords of wood in my Fireplace Xtrordinair and only about 20 gallons of oil in my furnace.
Our house is 1900 sq ft and comfortable.

This winter has been really cold. Got spoiled the last couple of winters. So far at least 7 cord in the house and 2 in the shop. Thought I had more that enough wood last fall. Might be wrong. I did use my fuel oil for the first time last week. Went away for the weekend. I had 50 gallons put in 2 years ago! Still have about 30 left. Sometimes messing with the wood kind of gets old until I see my friends heating bill. That pretty much takes care of that. Even after the cost of the saws, chains and oil, splitter and fuel for the tractor, I still get paid pretty darn well for my time(the exercise doesn't hurt either). With todays fuel prices I figure about 650 dollars a month to heat my house with fuel oil.

We've burned:

1 cord of Shagbark Hickory
1 cord of Piss Elm
1/2 cord of Red Elm
1 1/2 cords of Ash (both seasoned and green)

Oh ... and about 75 gallons of propane.

Last edited:
I would guess I've burned 3 cord or so, 90% Doug Fir and maybe 10% Alder. Prolly have a half cord of the fir left and I'll be getting into the Maple I was hoping to save for next year. :cry:

Burned it in the Lopi Endeavor in my avatar, kept a 2,000 square foot ranch warm all winter. I've kept several fires going four days or more and BARELY used electric heat at all. :clap:

How much wood fits into an 8 foot bed? The bed is full and piled high. I figured a little less than 1/2 a cord, but that is just a guess.

Lets all cheer because we're not giving our money to the gas or oil man :p

:cheers:
Yep I have not use any natural gas to heat my home this winter. Feels good. Even if hit the lotto, I would not pay the gas man. I would buy firewood from a local supplier and give him my money just so the gas co. did not get it.

5 cords in the house with the charmaster, (more than I figured), 1 face cord short of 2 cords in the shop, vermont castings dutchwest medium job. Ive allready picked out a Jotul Oslo for next year in the house. I figure ILL cut my house consumption in half. Yes Yes, or is that wishfull thinking

right on target

SO FAR...Approx 7 cords in my Jotul3cb in kitchen area AND
close to 11 cords in my Summeraire forced air furnace in the basement as well as about $800 in oil. Come on spring!!
usually between 25-28 cords for season
Red Oak,Sugar Maple

I lost track a long time ago it seems like. i dedicate almost every weekend to cutting firewood for myself and the parents. If I guessed I would say 7-8 cords burnt and about 3 split and curing for next year. Been burning quite a bit with the wife home with the younguns.

SO FAR...Approx 7 cords in my Jotul3cb in kitchen area AND
close to 11 cords in my Summeraire forced air furnace in the basement as well as about $800 in oil. Come on spring!!
usually between 25-28 cords for season
Red Oak,Sugar Maple
Geez guy, do you have holes in your house? thats a lotta wood. I was surprised that you have burned thata much in your jotul. Big house? Are you close to the north pole? Maybe you mean face cords I hope

to much

:censored: about 6 full cord,I have 2 maybe 3 weeks of wood left.I will have to buy some.

I'm on my 3rd season with my OWB,and I've always had wood left,this year has been colder than the last 2 and I started burning earlier...I guess I learned something.

Back