How much would this job cost?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am going to be removing a "stand" of about 20 scotch pines which average 30', 12" dbh. I am also going to remove the brush around the trees, which consist of buckthorn and honeysuckle. What will be left is a clear cut area where new firs and spruces will be planted in the spring.

I'm curious as to a ballpark figure on what the pro's would charge for this type of job, including the removal of the branches, brush and logs. I realize there are tons of variables that go into this, but it seems to be a pretty straight forward job other than having to avoid a few small trees I already have planted. I'm sure a pro could get it done in a day, I'm hoping to have it done before the snow flies. I posted a picture below to give an idea of the situation. TIA.

47b4d709b3127cceb7dcf84c7f2c0000001610

$1800 To $4000 depending on access, whether stumps are removed, how large the area is, how much raking, cleanup, etc. has to be done.

Thanks for the quick reply. The stumps will stay, area is roughly 60'x20', and cleanup will be minimal beyond removal of the larger branches.

Thanks for all the input. I'll keep in mind $1k - $2k as I'm out there busting my hump doing this job with a 16" MAC and a rope...I shouldn't complain, I think I'll actually enjoy doing this. BTW the branches and logs will be burned next spring.

lucky you, you get to burn, can't do that here.

area is roughly 60'x20' - that's only 3 passes with a machine.

If the slope is no steeper than shown, and you were near (not) or right on the way to another job, 2 hours and $500 with a track loader would get all stumps out and into a burn pile too, but you'd have some rough ground where the machine comes off the trailer. Done stuff like this for free for friends.

Wouldn't surprise me...

When I worked for a tree company out of Medford, they figured jobs at $2k per man/8 hours.

its funny you can highball many jobs and still get them,a tree buis owner i know doesnt even work it other than qoute and send his guys out with a 60' bucket.he makes a packet and openly admits he cant even sharpen a saw:rolleyes:

update

Here's how far I've gotten since my original post. I put in about an hour and a half per day as schedule and weather permits. There are 5 large trees left, and I'm hoping to have it done within the next two weeks. I cannot imagine doing this full time, I think I'd die of exhaustion after a week.

47b4ce03b3127ccea966471440300000001610

Re: update

Originally posted by wysiwyg
I cannot imagine doing this full time, I think I'd die of exhaustion after a week.
Once you get in shape it ain't that hard.

'course it never gets easy...:eek:

After the last hurricane here, I saw a guy top out a large codominant oak that had begun to split. He spiked up, wacked off the lower limbs, then dropped both tops. He left the trunk standing about 30' high. No cleanup, he didn't even bother to clear the limbs sticking out about 6' into the street. Total time on the job - about 25 minutes, total cost - $1,600. :angry:

Oh, AND he managed to flatten a fair amount of landscape plants, two sprinkler heads, and a lamp post next to the driveway. :angry: :angry:

That's nearly $4,000 per man/hour.

And we wonder why they refer to us as "crooks" and "criminals"?

It's unethical hacks like this that give Arborist a bad name.

I believe in the five percent rule.

Ninety-five percent of the people in a group are stereotyped by the actions of five percent of the group.

If homeowners would check to see if a contractor had VALID insurance, references, and some qualifications that can be validated (references can validate qualifications) these clowns would be out of business in a few months. Then we could buy all of their used equipment for cheap.

I don't like price shopping customers but I like thieves a lot less.

This guy stole from his customer. Sounds like a crime of oppotunity.

I'll end my rant.

I spoke to the homeowner later that day (we finished removing the tree for her). The hack basically intimidated her into doing the job. He said he was a contractor for the city (a lie) and that she would be fined by the police and the city if the tree fell into the street (another lie).

I told her she should stop payment on the check she gave him, and then send HIM a bill for all the damage he caused. :eek:

I live in the town of Genesee in southwest Waukesha county -out in the boonies. A 14" chipper sounds really appealing as I drag branch after branch a few hundred feet across the yard, but on the other hand, waiting 6 months and lighting a match doesn't cost me a dime. LOL Well its not quite that simple but it won't take more than 8 hours to eliminate all the wood next spring.

Back