How not to remove the flywheel!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimplene

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, new bod here...I was looking at the site trying to work out how to remove the flywheel off my new to me 020T as alas no puller available & I needed to replace the on/off short circuit cable. I think I've found a unique (but not recommended) way to do it.

After failing to get the flywheel off, put the saw back together, started it up, ran it to test the chain oil flow, when it started rattling scarily and no power to the chain. At first I thought "???? clutch", When I opened it up, the flywheel had come loose! I forgot to tighten the securing nut. Doh. Cable replaced, I can now turn the saw off without choking it. Problem solved with no damage to the flywheel either. Now for that oil leak.

THis is the first time in about 15 years that I've arsed about with an engine & I've had sooooooo much fun. Nearly 2 days in shed now and a very grumpy wife :rolleyes:

Hello crimplene, that's a good first time post and welcome to AS. Although a good idea in a pinch, we run the risk of breaking the half-moon-key (halfmonkey) and the flywheel can make contact with the coil making a mess.
Have you taken the muffler apart and cut off half the tube that restricts the exhaust yet? It will add substantial power and noise.
John

Oh yes, very lucky! I was scared when I heard the rattle. I thought not just a sickly saw but a very poorly one now, well done me. There was a little bit of damage on the inside of the flywheel, but not too much...

Nope haven't taken apart the muffler/exhaust (sorry I'm a Brit) yet. But it sounds interesting. I'm not sure how, I think I need a bit more research first. When I have the fastest 020 in the village, i'll let you all know....

I have visions of you in a tree with your 020 blazing listening to Quadraphenia cranked right up singing, "I'm Dressed Up Better Than Anyone Within a Mile....Oh Yeh!" BTW, what is a searsucker?

Anywho, you can do the muffler mod real easy, If it's the same as mine on the 020AV it comes in two pieces. Seperate the halves and remove at least half of the elongated tube inside. If the mufflers totally different than what I have described, drilling 3-4 1/4" holes in the muffler itself should give some extra power.
John
020AV4.jpg

Latest posts

Back