How often do you sharpen your chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never bought a file, can't bother to use my free time just to save a few dollars.

Yep, me too. I buy new chain loops by the gross. Probably thousands of loops of RSC in the woods around my house that have two to ten minutes use on them. Some of the trees have chains hanging on them like the plastic icicles on Christmas trees!

Hu

Personally, I have found a concrete driveway to be a to be the quite the resolute arbitrator
of when to go resharpen!
My neighbors had dropped a tree and I made about 5 limbing cuts on that fresh filed chain.
[ Sorry for the horrible photos, I only had that old web-cam at the time.]
That was the worst link in damaged area and It was a very brief touchoff.
Probably nicked about 8 teeth, all total.
The left side had about 3 cutters that had that really bad appearance
and the right side looked more like they made a hard, dry clay acquaintance.

Attachments

• Copy of Picture 014.jpg
    Copy of Picture 014.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Copy of Picture 031.jpg
    Copy of Picture 031.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 56
I swap out the chain at every gas stop and regrind them all when I get home. In the dirty wood that I am usually cutting, the chain is getting dull by the time I've burned through a tank of gas. I can change the chain quicker than I can file one.

I can usually tell when the chain is needing a touch-up, usually a tank of fuel or two. Very much depends on type of cutting and proximity to dirt and other potential dulling objects.
I certainly like to sharpen before they get too dull. Touch-up is easier than full blown sharpening, in my opinion, especially when filing(which is what I do).

I can't file without a vice to save my life.. Probably because it's on a Husky, we all know about their crummy sideways balance.

I carry an extra loop while cutting and touch them up if they need it when I get home. I can usually cut 2-3 tanks worth before needing a touch up.

As needed not a second before!

This is a good philosophy. I always like a sharp chain but at the same time, to constantly be touching up when it is not needed is a waste of valuable metal and time that ends up costing in the long run. I am not saying to run the chain dull, as that would reduce efficiency. But rather, you need time in the trenches to know when your chain is not performing the best and sharpen it then, all else is a waste of time and resources.

I've never bought a file, can't bother to use my free time just to save a few dollars.

In my line of work, a file is a lot lighter and takes up less room..... in a fireline pack! Being extra careful and watching where the tip goes makes for more fireline cut or hazard trees at the end of the day, but that file makes for less fatigue too!

Duane

In my line of work, a file is a lot lighter and takes up less room..... in a fireline pack! Being extra careful and watching where the tip goes makes for more fireline cut or hazard trees at the end of the day, but that file makes for less fatigue too!

Duane
Even the best loggers file sharpen their chains in the field while working, even with 36" bars. Cutting really big logs, they sometimes have to do this after every buck cut or large felling cut, and especially when clearing trees killed by floods. A good sawyer can do this in 10 to 12 minutes with the bar over his left shoulder.

If I have a good sized project on the horizon, I will make sure the chains on all 4 of my saws are sharp. That will generally get me through till lunch time, when I'll touch em up again, and that will usually last me till the end of the day.

It does not always work out that way, but it is nice to have a plan!

Latest posts

Back