How often do you turn the bar over

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I flip mine everytime I clean my saw. Thats just when it's most conveinient for me. I figure when I'm using my saws everyday that I clean them twice a week. Seems to work for me.
I agree that every shapening seems a little excessive. I don't have time to stop and flip the bar every time I sharpen my chain. JMO.

iF i FLIP IT over then the chain runs backward--guess i need to turn the engine around some how

I always forget which way it was, but if i notice a lot of difference between the rails I put the better side down.

Yeah, they get dirty too fast

need to get a real laser to cut and burn wood without all this work

I try to flip the bar every time I remove it from the powerhead for any reason. Failing that, or if I forget which side was up last, I flip it whenever it occurs to me. Toward the end of life on a bar that hasn't been flipped regularly, the difference in wear between the "up" side and the "down" side is night and day. Flipping the bar regularly about doubles its useful lifetime.

I flip mine everytime I clean my saw. Thats just when it's most conveinient for me. I figure when I'm using my saws everyday that I clean them twice a week. Seems to work for me.
I agree that every shapening seems a little excessive. I don't have time to stop and flip the bar every time I sharpen my chain. JMO.

You guys must be dirt dobbers or not good at sharpening I have ran hard a week not needing sharpen. I of course have ran a few seconds and needed a sharpen too lol:cheers: Personally I don't even think of flipping I end up doing so after cleaning I am sure but file the burrs regular to me is most important.

I am anal about breaking my saws down and cleaning them after every days cutting, I flip the bar every time I clean the saw. I would bring them to bed with me if my wife was into that kind of thing.

Oooooh crap... I do'no... sometimes I take the bar off to clean the saw... maybe put a longer or shorter bar on... and when I put the bar back on it might be flipped or it might not. I always check the rails, dress if needed... but I pay no attention to flippin' the darn thing.

About every 3rd sharpening for me. Sometimes every 4th. Not many burrs on the rails so far.

When I give my saw's a good, all-around cleaning I usually flip the bar. I do it enough to my personal liking, but am not a "bar-Nazi" by any means.

I flip the bar every time I swap out the chain, which is usually a couple or three tanks of gas or so unless I get into dirty wood, which happens often. The wood I saw has usually been on the ground, so it's tricky trying to keep a chain out of the grit.

I also clean the grooves and the oiler hole and brush out the shavings and grime out from beneath the clutch cover while I'm at it.

I just flip the bar randomly if I have it off. Don't really pay much attention to it, if I notice wear I put the good side down.

A reference was made on bar cleaning and I found two items that clean grooves well, one is the tang of a small chain file and the other is the screwdriver on my Swiss army knife.

Latest posts

Back