How often do you turn the bar over

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How often do you replace the bar ?

Just wondering; I only worn out one bar and I am thinking that is because it was a soft one

I wear em' out and replace em'. Tips usually go first anyways. I don't grease the tip cause it just attracts crap. There cheap who cares.

do you use the bars with exchangeable tip ?
are they better ?
how about Stihl bars? you don`t need to grease the tip there....

CS milling it is more evident to me if its needed attention and I use the pferd rail file. For cutting firewood I flip the bar if I have to remove chain or check oiling ports and such.

Oregon mostly but I don't really care I write em' off it's moot. I get good use out of em' as I don't cut dirt and my saw is always sharp! Maybe filthy but sharp!

I flip my bar a lot less than I used to!

When I was working in forestry we used to flip our bars every day. No big deal, everybody did it and nobody saw it.

Now that 100% of my work is residential. I feel really hesitant to flip my bar. I only says 'stihl' one way up, and almost every job I've down with the bar 'upside down' the customer has either commented on it, or looked at it funny.... And I could read the thoughts in their head "is that guy cutting upside down? does he really know what he's doing?"

I really wish my bars had no writing on them. Then I could go back to flipping them daily. maybe I should take a grinder to the logos?

Shaun

I flip mine whenever I have the chain off. I hand sharpen all my chains so if I have no reason to take the chain off it may be quite some time before the bar gets flipped over. If I see the bar is getting some burrs on the edges then I take it off, file them down, clean it all up and flip it over. Otherwise, just whenever I take the chain off. Not scientific by any means.

When I was working in forestry we used to flip our bars every day. No big deal, everybody did it and nobody saw it.

Now that 100% of my work is residential. I feel really hesitant to flip my bar. I only says 'stihl' one way up, and almost every job I've down with the bar 'upside down' the customer has either commented on it, or looked at it funny.... And I could read the thoughts in their head "is that guy cutting upside down? does he really know what he's doing?"

I really wish my bars had no writing on them. Then I could go back to flipping them daily. maybe I should take a grinder to the logos?

Shaun

LOL. if you grind it won`t it rust ?
maybe some quick spray paint would do
or you can make an Stihl outline out of a card board and paint STIHL upside-down
this way no matter how you flip, the customer will always read it.

Shaun

I agree, customers trust comes first over flipping the bar.

Shaun

Its funny you say that ,I've had people look and ask
"why is that Blade upside down"too,
gets you thinking if its marketed that way so one side gets hammered to death because it would be wrong to put the writting upside down on bars:D

Shaun

Wire brush on a buffing wheel and POOF! no wording!

Mike

Last edited:
I've had people look at me funny too. Then I have to explain it to them. Some seem to believe me and some don't. :laugh:

People are dumber than anybody eh?:D

the way I see it, turning the bar is not an religious ritual but a way to make sure the both sides are even; wearing the bar occurs due lots of work I guess; so if you cut wood occasionally, you may keep the same side up for months and be ok.
0.02$

Latest posts

Back